Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac Deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, Im new to the site and wonder if anyone has experience with 'stability system engaged' for no apparent reason. This happens frequently, accompanied by a growl under the hood, and a pull to the right. It doesnt seem to matter if the cruse control in on or not and is alarming. My wife will not drive the car as she is afraid to. Can anyone give me insight on how to fix the problem? Thank You

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
Welcome to the Funny Farm !!! :highfive:

Your car has its own built-in diagnostic trouble code (DTC) scanner/memory. On this Deville forum main threads page there are several sticky threads - timeless info. Study the proper year/model group of instructions in the "How to pull codes" sticky. Practice, write down any found codes and whether each is Current or History. Codes read out as a letter, 4 digits, and a letter, preceded by the module acronym. When you have listed all your found codes, return to the sticky to open the link to definitions of all OBD-II codes. Decipher your codes and post it all here.

Literally hundreds of systems, parts, and actions in your car are monitored - the trouble codes take some of the guesswork out of diagnosis.

Click each category for code definitions by prefix -
P = Powertrain
B = Body
C = Chassis
U = data and voltage/power

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/dtccode.html

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac Deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so very much! It is icing here and I will need a few days to get back to work on this particular problem and report the codes.
Now I have another...more immediate one..
I was getting the code PCM P0300 CURRENT. My Mechanic gave it a 100000. mi tune up saying it is multiple misfires. The multiple misfires still happened, he Changed 1 coil bank, for cylinders 8/3. It fixed the problem for 2 days.. then check engine light and misfiring again.
Pulled compression check, and one of the front cylinders had 9 pounds. replaced plugs and restarted the engine.. The car was running normal again. performed another compression check, and all cylinders fine again..
drove the car for 20 miles, ran great.. Now it is back to the misfire problem.. The mechanic says it may be carbon stuck in or on 1 of the valves... he said they would have to pull the heads..
this is scary since I think it may be something else and the head job would cost so much for the 99 Deville..
Any suggestions on this? If it is carbon deposit on the valve, how can I clear it? I m thinking marvel mystery oil or lucus in the gas tank and drive it for a while.. I wonder if that misfire can actually burn a valve if I drive it..
I will say this car has ran great since iv had it for a year and only 92000. miles on it..
Have you ever heard of such a thing? A valve fixing itself? If only for a while?
I am indeed on the funnyfarm and this is driving me crazy when I should be driving it like crazy. These 2 problems the misfires and the stability system. Them Im home free for a while again!
ANY advise would be welcome and I will check back tomorrow evening for any you may have...
Thanks Submariner409!

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium w/1SD | 1999 Deville Base (RIP @179K Miles)
404 Posts
Which spark plugs did you use for replacement? This engine is only fully compatible with AC Delco 41-950 spark plugs. Any other brand and there can be issues.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
What Rock said... In addition wires may be suspect at that age also. I have myself had 2 coils go out in a couple weeks of each other also so dont rule out that either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts