Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening! I've been having a problem with the suspension in the rear on my 99 Deville riding low at different points as I'm driving. It only happens if I have any number of people in the rear seat or after I've been driving for a few minutes. I'll start the car and can hear the compressor running, and the rear of the car will sit up like it's supposed to. But, much like a large man at a buffet, it eventually and inevitably sits down.
I know that some pay hundreds of dollars to make their lowriders throw sparks from underneath, but I'd prefer that my big beautiful sedan didn't drag her exhaust pipes all over the railroad tracks as I'm trying to make it to Walmart in one piece. I've seen in different scenarios in which others have converted the air pistons in the rear to conventional shocks and fixed the problem.
The ride purist in me, however, is telling me that the thing will take the road more rough than a bad first date, and was hoping to inquire about different things I could look at to keep my current setup working.
My more frugal side suggests that the purist side of me will cost me thousands of dollars and probably long sleepless nights of crying, and was hoping to hear from those that have made the swap to regular suspension.
I greatly appreciate any and all inputs. Thanks guys!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,273 Posts
check for codes -
specifically a failed exhaust solenoid which is part of the compressor -

a brand new compressor is around $240 -
or you could install the Monroe AK29 manual fill kit - $12 -

check for leaks in the bladders -
if leaking - Monroe 40046 rear shocks are a direct replacement -
$100 each - with free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047D9TS0/?ie=UTF8&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and hoses -

post back with your findings -

·
Registered
Deville 1995 Deville 1999
11 Posts
I put the Monroe "conversion" shocks on both a 1995 and an 1999 DeVille when the OE shocks leaked. Like you, I was concerned about the ride, but decided to do it because I didn't want to worry about having the pump or other parts going out and having to diagnose the problem and pay for more repairs. The ride on the 95 is fine with two passengers in front. It is still good when sitting in the back seat, but you can feel a sharp thump when you go over large, sharp joints in the road. The 99 feels great from the drivers seat and is my daily driver, but I have not ridden in the back, so I am not sure how it feels. Both cars handle better than before.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,273 Posts
I put the Monroe "conversion" shocks on both a 1995 and an 1999 DeVille when the OE shocks leaked. Like you, I was concerned about the ride, but decided to do it because I didn't want to worry about having the pump or other parts going out and having to diagnose the problem and pay for more repairs. The ride on the 95 is fine with two passengers in front. It is still good when sitting in the back seat, but you can feel a sharp thump when you go over large, sharp joints in the road. The 99 feels great from the drivers seat and is my daily driver, but I have not ridden in the back, so I am not sure how it feels. Both cars handle better than before.
==============================
coil-over shocks SUCK in every way possible -
compared to the correct ELC shocks -

if the compressor is shot -
you can get a Monroe AK29 - manual-fill kit - for $12 -

1 - 5 of 5 Posts