Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Im a new Deville owner and wonder if someone can help me with a question about my "new" 99 Deville.

The car is mint, has been well maintained and drives like new, except when going over a bump at low speed (Railroad track, small bump in road) there is a rattle (sounds like it's in the trunk). I suspect it's a rear sway bar link rattling. At high speeds there is no rattle. The shocks appear ok and car has good ride height in rear. I looked at the sway bar links, they appear dry and split and if I "reef" on them it seems tight. When I inspected the link I jacked up one wheel and removed the tire.

Q1 : Does anyone have any suggestions how I can check if the sway bushings / link need replacement ?
Q2 : Does anyone know approx price of the links and if they are easy to replace ? (I do most of my own mechanical work)

Thanks in advance + PS great Forum Here ! Rob

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
Other than the sway Bushings, you need the check the 'other' set of bushings, the rear upper control arm bushings, with your year car, its a good bet you probably have these worn. The way to check is to jack up the rear end, take the tire off and use a breaker bar and push up on the control arm, if you see play then they need to be changed, this can be expensive as Gm does not sell the bushing separately, I hope its what you think it is, good luck

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Caddyshack thanks. Based on what you mentioned I did some more searching and I think I have the rear upper control arm bushing problem.

One of the tests I read about was to grab the rear tire with all wheels on the ground and pull / push on it , sure enough there is play both wheels. This probably explains the sway I was feeling, thinking it was a sway bar issue.

I just bought the car privately and had it MOT inspection and passed. Do you have any idea is the upper control arm hard to replace or is this a dealer item ?. I live in Toronto.

I understand parts are about $700 per side.

Any and all help appreciated .... Rob

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
Alte, its really not the upper control arms that need replaced, its the knuckles that they connect to, these you can get for about 500 at Rockauto, thankfully they deliver up to Canada and with our buck nearly the same as the Greenback, it will not cost too much either. It is good that the Certification did not catch this, now you can fix it without a gun to your head. If as you said you are handy with the wrenches then changing the knuckles are not that hard, Since you got this car down in TO, then also have a look at the brake lines, sadly this is one area of the car that is very open to rust issues, keep an eye on it, Don't try any wreckers, we all beat you too it, you will find that there are not many Caddies in the Canadian yards as the insurance companies have first dibs on them. It almost forces us to use the dealerships or go south. I would go south as the dealerships charge over 1100 dollars per knuckle. Another solution is to make the bushings yourself, some on this forum have done that, this is a 20 dollar part that turns the 1100 dollar part into scrap. Keep us informed and good luck with it, if you need any more help just feel free to ask for it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks !! I verified I have a bad knuckle Pass side. Through some research I found out Brasington Cadillac in Florida is a good source for Cadillac parts and got a new Knuckle assy $384 US plus $24 shipping UPS. The guys there are great ! They sell a LOT of Deville Knuckles. Up here same part is $985. Thanks for the brake line suggestion. They look good, fortunately my car was never driven winter but spent winters in Texas and still has factory grease pencil marks visible on the underbody ! I figured out the procedure to replace the knuckles. Any other suggestions I should add to this ?

1. Jack the car up and remove rear tire. Support the car on stands.
2. Disconnect sensor unit from center of knuckle assy.
3. Remove sensor wire bracket
4. Remove Brake Caliper + bracket unit (leave brake lines connected) and set aside in safe area.
5. Remove Brake Rotor
6. Place Hydraulic Jack under lower spring arm (snug against spring arm - no tension on spring). Keep jack in place under spring arm during the procedure.
7. Unbolt Upper Control Arm bushing (where attached to knuckle)
8. Unbolt Rear Control Arm Bushing (where attached to knuckle)
9. Unbolt Lower Control Arm Bushing (where attached to knuckle)
10. Remove Knuckle assy
11. Unbolt wheel Bearing / hub (4 bolts)
12. Re-install reverse of above.
13. Before putting tire back on, reset suspension by turning on ignition.

Thanks again and BEST REGARDS !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts