Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own 99 Deville with approx 65k miles on it. Its a great car and has been for a year now. A few months back we had a pretty bad winter storm and ice covered everything including my car. One day I was trying to clear my windshield off and I turned my wipers on. They wouldnt move because there was to much ice. They havent been the same since then. For the longest time the driver side wiper would work while the passenger side wouldnt. It would try to come up but would only make it part of the way. Then the other day the passenger side wiper decides it will work again and my driver side wiper goes all the way up and off my windshield and rests on my door mirror. This is getting very frustrating. Now neither wiper is working at all and we getting buckets of rain down here in Oklahoma right now. You can hear the wipers trying to work. The passenger side one moves up every once in a while when left on but thats about it. I imagine I screwed it all up trying to turn them on when it was iced over. Any ideas on what could be wrong? Maybe they're just loose and need to be tightened up? Any idea on what something like thats gonna cost me to fix?

Ok on to my next problem. For the past six months or so Ive noticed a rattling noise in the front suspension. Its gradually gotten worse. I suspect that its a ball joint or something like that. If so how much is this gonna cost to fix? In the thousands?

Im really starting to regret buying this car. I mean yeah it looks great and stuff but I keep having all these little problems.

Any advice I can get on these matters would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
The wipers attach by splines which you probably stripped out. You most likely need new wiper arms (start with junkyards or eBay) or you may be able to salvage yours depending on how badly they are damaged. Your problem is at the base of the wiper arm where it attaches to the car. A front end rattle can be many things but the standard items (ball joint, tie rod end, etc.) should be comparable in expense to other cars unless you take it to somebody who deliberately jacks up Cadillac owners.

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
There's nothing wrong with your car that a little bit of routine maintenance wouldn't solve. Did you expect to never, ever, put a dime into your used car except for gasoline?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,969 Posts
Follow Chubby's advice on the wipers. The rattle may be nothing more than sway bar bushings or end links. Neither is a major problem and the first was self inflicted, so don't blame the car for that one.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Yea, I have a Lexus that makes front end noises also. Maybe you need a bicycle :thehand:

Start with swaybars, swaybar links or bushings... these are usually the culprit on these heavily damped vehicles. Its the price to pay for that soft ride... over time all the little rubber things wear out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts