Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Deville base
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 deville with FE1, front shocks fluid regulated for ride not height, and back air shocks but pump broke so want to go with a standard no computer etc. controlled, i can retain air shocks and adjust for proper height. So, what are your thoughts on what to buy and whqt problems/fix will I encounter. Thanks for your help.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,571 Posts
99 deville with FE1, front shocks fluid regulated for ride not height, and back air shocks but pump broke so want to go with a standard no computer etc. controlled, i can retain air shocks and adjust for proper height. So, what are your thoughts on what to buy and whqt problems/fix will I encounter. Thanks for your help.
===========================
OK -
STRUTS -
normally I would recommend the Monroe struts - but NOT in this case - stick with the ACDelco units -
ACDELCO 505-525 - LEFT - $113.57 - with free shipping -
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-505-...id=1546073243&sr=1-1&keywords=ACDELCO+505-525

ACDELCO 505-526 - RIGHT - $130.63 - with free shipping -
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-505-...id=1546073320&sr=1-1&keywords=ACDELCO+505-526

HOWEVER - THERE IS A KILLER DEAL JUST WAITING TO BE SNATCHED UP BY ONE LUCKY BUYER -
ACDELCO 505-525 - $41.13 -
ACDELCO 505-526 - $40.45 -
these are both from amazon - they are listed as "used" -
but what this REALLY means is that someone bought the wrong struts and returned them -
and the original boxes got beat up during the shipping -

SHOCKS -
I strongly recommend sticking with the air-assist and going with Monroe -
MONROE 40046 - $236 - FOR THE PAIR - INCLUDING SHIPPING -
https://autoplicity.com/2370832-mon...MIjLfUutfE3wIVEQOGCh3IEgYuEAYYBCABEgLiNvD_BwE

you will also need the MONROE AK29 - Manual Fill Kit - $12 -
https://autoplicity.com/search?searchterms=monroe+ak29

---------------------

shouldn't have any problems using these parts -
though you MIGHT need some additional parts -

upper strut mount/bearing/insulator -
ACDELCO 501243 - $110 - for BOTH sides - with shipping -
rockauto.com -

if you are going to disassemble the struts yourself -
autozone has an EXCELLENT spring compressor you can "rent" for free -
I used it for my Deville struts and did a write-up in the TechTips forum -

·
20,571 Posts
Basscatt for the win as always!

Are the Factory Delcos better than the usual Monroes you suggest?
=======================
Monroe only offers a "conversion kit" in this application - 900011 and 900012 -
the struts are OK - but some some have experienced a problem with the car sitting 2" higher -

·
Registered
1999 DeVille
6 Posts
Basscat, I read your response to 85Silverado's question with great interest and want to thank you for all of the great advice you provide in this forum.

The situation with my 1999 Deville base sedan is very similar to 85Silverado's ... FE1, just had new OEM front struts installed, but my (Cardone) pump and OEM ELC sensor both work. I'm trying to decide between Monroe 40046 you suggested vs Delco 51512 for the rear, which is sitting very low right now. I believe that in either case, I would have the backup option of the AK29 manual fill kit whenever the pump/sensor go out for ride height control, right? But which would you recommend for shock replacement since both setups are approximately same cost at this time? Also, I read somewhere that buying new "Delco" 51512 parts would actually be relabelled Gabriel Hijackers, not Delco parts. Is that correct? If that's the case, I'm not sure I should count on them to deliver a "factory" ride which would be my primary reason for selecting them.

I'm a "traditionalist" about most things, so my heart is telling me to go the Delco (Gabriel?) route, but in addition to that concern about who actually makes them and whether they would recreate a "factory" ride, I'm wondering if the Monroe kit might have useful advanced tech built in that the OEM parts did/do not have and would make them a better choice.

Thanks to all members for any and all advice ...

LTGTRNOLA

·
20,571 Posts
I'm trying to decide between Monroe 40046 you suggested vs Delco 51512 for the rear,
which is sitting very low right now.
I recommend the MONROE 40046 shocks - better ride and higher quality -
not sure who makes the ACDelco - but they are NOT the same as the original shocks -

HOWEVER - if the rear is sitting very low - you probably need new springs -

the rear springs are soft - to give us that Cadillac ride we all expect -
they are JUST strong enough to maintain proper ride height with nothing in the back seat or trunk -

new springs aren't expensive - and are easy to replace when you are replacing the shocks -
I recommend the MOOG 81005 - $78 - for the pair - with free shipping -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00180DVIO/?ie=UTF8&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

1 - 7 of 7 Posts