Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 eldorado, 99 deville, 92 brougham limo, 71 sedan deville
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy folks,

so, i'm working with a 99 deville base, just cleared 75,000 miles (got it at 62,000). after a good 10,000 trouble free miles (except for installing a new radiator, water pump, torque strut mounts, new shocks, struts, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links, brakes, rotors) i've now realized my motor mounts are bad. can hear a grinding noise if i punch it on take off and see the motor move when i give it gas while holding the brake. ive had a trusted mechanic confirm my diagnosis.

my questions are:
do i need the solid or hydraulic mounts?
is it worthwhile to attempt changing all the mounts? (rockauto only list a front mount, but there are also transmission mounts listed and ive read that there's is sometimes confusion about the proper nomenclature for these parts)
is this something that a really good shade tree mechanic can handle or should i go to a shop? (if so, any tips, pitfalls to watch out for in the process?)

i also welcome any other general info you guys may have to help me stay trouble free....for example, i figure now's about the time i should go ahead and get the transmission serviced (new screen, fluid), but anything else?

thanks in advance, yall are awesome!

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Deville
181 Posts
Anchor mounts are crap IMO(cheap rubber), see a lot of defects from them. Anyone know of another aftermarket brand?

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
There are also torque struts that hold the left(front) head onto the front crossbeam, that may be disintegrated. Both sides are available cheap on rockauto.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, but any input on the solid vs hydraulic mount question? Or are these two separate parts that I need both of?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,480 Posts
The original factory front center mount is a grease-packed semi-hydraulic setup with mechanical limit stops. When the boot breaks the thing allows the engine to torque too far toward the firewall - that's the only "hydraulic" part of the setup.

Solid mounts are for those of us who run the dogsnot out of the cars and that sort of aggressive driving will go through OEM mounts like popcorn at a movie. Solid mounts and solid dogbones (engine control struts) transmit quite a bit of busy engine noise straight into the cabin.

RockAuto - and quite a few FWD owner/members use the Anchor front center mount. Solid (uncushioned) mounts ??? Talk to Jake at www.northstarperformance.com

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks submariner

Considering I drive like an old man, from what your saying if I go with the solid mounts they will likely last longer than the hydraulic counterparts, at the cost of a little cabin noise? Seems like a fair trade...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts