Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It makes this horrible grinding sound when you take off from a stop that can only really be described as metal rubbing on something. It seems to be worse when I really give it the gas but then it goes away as I build up speed and when Im just driving down the road. I just had alot of front end work done. My struts and sway bar links were replaced and the car rides really smooth again. The grinding noise was happening before I had this work done so I know it has nothing to do with that. My cv axels are in good shape so I know thats not it. Everything looks fine under there by the tires but I dont really know what Im looking for. I had my car aligned the other day and I had the mechanic test drive it. He had no idea what the noise could be and said Id have to take it to the dealer to see what it is. Im just hoping somebody here may have some idea as to what Im dealing with here and how badly Im screwed. Please tell me my transmission isnt going out!!

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
As you have checked out my first impression, the CV joints, before looking at the tranny, check the brake caliper pins, maybe one has worked out a bit and is grinding into the rim, or maybe a wheel bearing, or one of the abs sensor brackets has come loose and is jammed in somewhere. Or the brake pads themselves maybe worn down to rivets on one side, or the inner side pad. Good luck with it.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,986 Posts
As soon as it starts grinding, let off the gas. Is the sound still there? Put it in neutral and coast. Is the sound still there? Does it grind if you leave it in neutral and push the car?

·
Registered
Cadillac
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It only does it when I accelorate. If I immediately let off the gas it stops. If I just kind of baby the gas and take off really slow it wont do it all. I can put the car in neutral and rev up the engine and I get nothing. Every great once in a blue moon my traction control light will come along with my abs light when I start the car. But as soon as I kill it and start it back up they go away. Like I said its only happened a hand full of times. Ive heard what bad wheel bearings sound like before and that isnt what this sounds like. Although Im no expert. The problem is the dealer will charge me just to look at the car. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and take it there : (

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
It makes this horrible grinding sound when you take off from a stop that can only really be described as metal rubbing on something. It seems to be worse when I really give it the gas but then it goes away as I build up speed and when Im just driving down the road. I just had alot of front end work done. My struts and sway bar links were replaced and the car rides really smooth again. The grinding noise was happening before I had this work done so I know it has nothing to do with that. My cv axels are in good shape so I know thats not it. Everything looks fine under there by the tires but I dont really know what Im looking for. I had my car aligned the other day and I had the mechanic test drive it. He had no idea what the noise could be and said Id have to take it to the dealer to see what it is. Im just hoping somebody here may have some idea as to what Im dealing with here and how badly Im screwed. Please tell me my transmission isnt going out!!
PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT IS CAUSING the grinding noise if/when you find the cause of it.The dealer may know---perhaps taking your Deville to a transmission center would help.
I have the exact same problem you have on my 1995 Deville-----only grinds once in a while on QUICK ACCELERATION.Since the grinding noise seems to be coming from the rear on my Deville,i may get my wheel bearings checked.

·
Registered
Cadillac
47 Posts
FYI...
My 2000 Deville with 55,000 miles had a really minor vibration at 65, one that most would not notice and it was in my pants legs not the steering wheel. No other tell tale signs like clicking on a hard turn or something that feels like radial tire run out. I took off from a stop sign last week, when it shifted to second all hell broke loose. The right side CV joint exploded. It sounded like I ran over a floor jack. You could see pieces of the joint in the rearview mirror. I had replaced the CV joint about 4,000 miles ago so it was under warranty. Weird not to have any tell tale signs of a CV joint ready to fail.

·
2007 DTS
2007 DTS, 1991 Eldorado(retired), 1999 Deville (retired)
371 Posts
I just had the same thing with my 99 Deville. It was the front motor mount. The noise was the exhaust vibrating against the engine or the frame(I am not sure where}. I swore it was something rotating and rubbing to make the noise but it wasn't. Replaced the mount and the noise was gone.

·
Registered
99 deville
24 Posts
I to have the same problem! Sucks becuase i just had the block studded and now im worried its transmission! But transmission shift and runs good so idk. If anyone finds this devil please let me know my mounts look good but i will double check.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,517 Posts
Krashsx did you ever find out what the problem was? I have the same problem and my mechanic cant figure it out.
-------------------------
Krashsx hasn't been around for many years -

check the front motor mount -
a fairly common problem -

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT IS CAUSING the grinding noise if/when you find the cause of it.The dealer may know---perhaps taking your Deville to a transmission center would help.
I have the exact same problem you have on my 1995 Deville-----only grinds once in a while on QUICK ACCELERATION.Since the grinding noise seems to be coming from the rear on my Deville,i may get my wheel bearings checked.
Wow--8 years later and responding to my own reply!
The source of the noise on my '95 Deville was found to be the exhaust pipe vibrating on some type of metal/steel safety device meant to hold up the exhaust pipe in case it fell off.
Exhaust pipe would only contact the metal upon acceleration,so I had it lowered by an inch or so and no more noise.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Had a similar noise about five years ago, it was annoying the heck out of me until I had a radiator replacement, which magically made the noise disappear. I had the brace off but it was still making noise. I'm glad that it's gone now but guess I'd never figure out what it was

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've changed the front motor mount, the strut tower mounts and still making the noise. It only happens in 1st and 2nd. My mechanic is leaning towards the trans but it shifts fine and the fluid is clean and no debris in the pan. If I'm very gental with the gas it doesn't happen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts