Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally collected all the tools, watched all the videos, and read everything I could concerning replacing my alternator. Now that I have got under the car i see that i have a definite motor oil leak as there is some motor oil on the frame below the motor. Is there anything I can look for that might need tightening like loose oil pan bolts or something like that? Is it common for these Northstar engines to develop small oil leaks? The car has only 75k miles on it and i do not want to spend a fortune repairing it. my intuition tells me that the oil has probably hit the voltage regulator inside the alternator and shorted it out so unless I fix the oil leak I will have the same problem again in a few months Thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,924 Posts
Carefully clean the engine and look for the source of the leak. How often do you add oil to bring the level to the middle of the dipstick hashmark - not to the top of the hashmark ?

The oil pan and halfcase use formed silicone seals in grooves as "gaskets". The oil pan bolts, if loose, can be tightened. Use the correct torques for your engine - in the GM/Cadillac/Helm service manual set.

More likely is a leaking oil pressure sending unit or oil filter adapter.

Oil filter adapter.gif
Oil filter adapter O rings.jpg
oil pressure switch.php.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts