Cadillac Owners Forum banner

99 Deville Electonic Level Control not working, after Strutmasters removal!

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Johnnbuddy4 
#1 ·
Hey all! I finally got my other Monroe 40046 air shock to go with the 40$ open box one! Anyway, after I put em on, I expected to find a fuse or relay to replace, to turn the compressor back on, but the fuse in the trunk is ok and cant find a relay. It had coilover Strutmaster shocks and red springs on it, when I bought it at 84k miles. I wouldn't think the pump would be burnt out. When I saw the StrutM and red springs, I assumed the OP pulled a fuse or relay, to disable the air comp, but I cant find anything wrong with it. Does anyone out there know what Strutmasters does to disable the pump? Or what else I can check? Thanks in advance for any info!

#3 ·
I jacked it up some and squeezed under enough to pull on all the wires and saw 2 connectors back there that were made up, and the level switch is plugged in. I found where if saz the relay is, in #2 block in the trunk, it's full of all 6 relays. The only thing I haven't done, is drive it up on ramps high enough to actually get under and see physically that the compressor is plugged into the harness.

#8 ·
Well, I worked on the air level system last weekend. I started by using Alldata to trace the power circuits, and after climbing around in the trunk with my flashlite, dvm, tablet and a jumper wire, and answering a bunch of YES questions, it finally led me to the power connector under the car, just below the compressor! When I read that, I slapped myself and said "Why ddnt I just test the compressor itself, 1st, to see if it's even working!" I did, and it isnt. I took the whole thing out. 3 bolts to separate it from its mount then take mount out, then you have to take the dryer off the pump, or it wont come out. Took the crankcase cover off and looked inside. The crankpin had broken off the motor shaft rotating gizmo. Motor froze up, but piston looked ok. Tried to make 1 of of 2, by putting that "good" piston in the compressor that had quit pumping, and that I had taken out of my old Eldorado, years ago, but couldnt get it apart. The electric motor shaft goes through the crankcase wall and is pressed into the rotating gizmo. I had already ordered the airline kit that Basscat suggested. Should be here anyday. I thought about rigging a Schrader valve to the little end of the dryer and plugging it back in to the airlines! One way or the other I'm gonna get some air in it, to save the new shocks, until I can get a new compressor ordered. The system works, because I plugged the worn out pump in and with the level control lever, I could make it turn on and off! Thanks guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.