Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have the engine out I can clearly see it has a cracked block. My neighbor says it can be welded and work fine. But here is my concern. The reason I started this project is because pressure was building up in the cooling system without getting warm. It looked like a textbook blown head gasket. After I got the heads off the gaskets looked fine. I would think even with a cracked block coolant would simply leak out, which it was. How was the exhaust gas getting to the cooling system? Seems it would be a problem with the head but could it be the crack in the block? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I had the same problem with my 96 cracked block the n* are pieces of crap the material they built them from is too cheap and they stuffed too much HP into the engines which leads to problems.

I just replaced the engine in my caddy for less than a $1000 for the engine.

If you think about timeserting etc. the costs can add up fast just the timesert kit costs about $400 or so and if you add your labor time IMO it's not worth it better to buy a working engine.

It seems that just a few N* have this problem somehow it could be the bolts are overtorqued or not torqued enough causing head gasket leaks. The cracked block is because it overheats usually.

This is a problem that only affects about 5%(or less) of devilles but if you GO TO almost ANY AUTO AUCTION you can usually find between 1-5 devilles being sold there almost always with a headgasket problem. In the last month I found about 10 in 3 auctions and online I found about 4 on ebay in the last 3 weeks. ranging from 95-99 I've seen even a 2000 deville at an auto auction with head gasket problems.

I guess every car has it's faux paus lincolns have their horrid air suspensions that always fail on a 80,000 mile mark.Ford's fall apart after 5,000 miles......:histeric:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello TREY: I have a similar problem, but I wont know how sever my engine is until I pull it out. BUT, I was thinking of just buying a used engine from a junk yard, low miles if one available, and replacing it.....

Blown headgaskets are common in these types of car. I know a few a mechanics who work for a cadillac dealership and they are always working on blown headgaskets. The last time I was there they had three engines out. Your best bet is finding a used engine with low miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts