Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the alternator in my 99 DeVille. I picked up a good used alternator cheap. I got the bad alternator out and upon comparing them i noticed that the pulley on the original one is slightly larger the the used one. Are these units interchangeable with the different size pulleys? I was going to swap the pulleys but can't break the nuts loose. I don't want to install this unit with the smaller pulley if it's gonna cause belt slippage and it is a real job to install the alternator. What should I do? thanks

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,684 Posts
An impact wrench will spin that nut right off.
Does the newer unit match up physically with the original?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for. the reply. since this job is very tedious I decided to just buy the correct alternator with the 62 mm pulley. evidently there is a 57 mm pulley and a 62 mm pulley and they are used on different engines rated 275 hp and 300 hp. Replacing it wasn't that bad dropping it out the bottom by first removing the plastic mud guard and then the alternator access panel. I did remove the two bolts holding in the electric fan and raised the side closest to the alternator making removal a breeze. there are 4 bolts securing the alternator, one on top and 3 on the bottom. one of the bottom bolt heads is against a heat shield and just would not line up with the threaded insert on the alternator. after trying for 7 hours to screw it in I gave up. I'm just gonna go with the 3 bolts securing it. It is solidly in place so I'm hoping there will be no problem. my next step will be putting the belt back on. I did remove the battery although I don't believe it's necessary but it made things a little easier. A little more security and a thorough inspection and I'll fire her up.Some mechanic wanted almost a thousand dollars to do this job explaining that the radiator had to come out which is not true. I hope that the battery light and not charging message are gone when I start it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Success! Fired her up and I'm reading 14.1 vdc. Great! My thanks to the members of this forum for all their help. Beside the price of the alternator I had to invest in a 3 ton floor jack and 3 ton jack stands and a set of ratcheting metric wrenches. I already had the rest of the tools I needed.To sum it up the job required the jack and jack stand, 15 mm wrenches and sockets, 10 mm wrench to loosen the bolts holding in the fan and removing the mud guard and some clamps. most everything is 15 mm except for the bolt that secures the block the holds in the battery and that is 13 mm. anyone that tells you the radiator has to be removed will be ripping you off. Once you remove the mud guard and the alternator access panel which is directly below the alternator you can remove the 3 bolts that secure the alternator, the electrical plug and the positive lead and it drops down through the hole. Oh, and the battery connector bolts are 8 mm.

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
827 Posts
Yep, at one time, my household reached 6 cars at once. 3 ton jack was the best investment as I had to put some car in the air every weekend.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep,That jack will make replacing brake pads or rotors a breeze. the hardest part of the job for me was always jacking up the car using one of those spare tire jacks. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts