Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac DeVille d'Elegance
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I suppose to be the stabilizer bar/sway bar, whatever you call it, has broken.. What parts to get to repair and where?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
The sway bar is a |______| shaped bar that goes from one front wheel to the other. Is that's what broke, or just the short links between the bar and control arms.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Re: 99 Cadillac DeVille d'Elegance Stabilizer Bar repair help!?!?

If you are talking on the front of car you probably are talking about sway bar links. Do yourself a favor and get the MOOG units. RockAuto has good prices on them usually.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

My service stability control light came on two days after i noticed a klinking sound. When i got under the car, the bar was broken, out of its place and dragging on the ground. Its the piece that goes into the engine, not the links.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. The sway bar is bolted to the engine cradle. No part of it goes into the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I mean it goes under the car to the other side, and it moves with the wheel when i turn it. This is my first car so I don't really have much experience.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Turns with the wheels? No that wouldn't be the sway bar. Sounds like you might be talking about the tie rod, but the car wouldn't be drivable.

Does the broken part look like these:

Or the ends of this:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

No it's more like a bar coming from the shock springs and the linking to another one and going underneath the car.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
Sounds like he's identified it correctly. Broken sway bar is far from unheard of. It's yet another one of those 'late model' '80's-early 2000's GM idiosyncrasies. A little more common on the W-body than others. Rust + hollow bar = breakage.

Dorman makes a lot of replacements. You might find one by them. If not, you'll probably need to resort to the dealer or a salvage part.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts