Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 98sls
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let me start by saying great fourm joined two month ago. just reading alot of froums and admire the talent.for one stands out is ranger and others.bought 98sls two months ago car has good mainteance record. pulled codes no cdes just a few history codes. car running fine this morning got up started car up says low fuel go to gas station put forty$. on the way home witch is five blocks car stalls started right back up .go home get the wife we live in sacramento ca goining to san francisco as were getting on the freeway coming around a turn and the car stalled started right up running fine to sfo witch is about 98 miles stop and go traffic to the bay bridge no stalling. one are way back home pulled off for gas car stalled started right up. on the wayhome gave it gas wot afew times till 85 or90 and smell somthing like burnt rubber didnt smell like coolent does all coolent smell alike prestone and dexcool?:bouncy: please help:worship: buy the way im mike (coaster). somebody please answer tyank you

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Most of the time, smells on the highway are from somebody else because anything you're generating mostly ends up behind you. If you get the smell with the car at idle that may be something to chase down. Check your coolant level and since the car is newer to you keep an eye on it and see if it uses any. Try running premium and another brand of gas - from your post it seems like it acts up after you feed it gas.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Random intermittent stalling can be caused by dirty/corroded/loose crankshaft position sensor connectors. Or a failing sensor.

·
Registered
Cadillac 98sls
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks chubby will do i use preuim gas try another station, and jim i will keep my eyes on the coolant and check that sensor thanks guys means alot to me let you knowwhat i comme up with.

·
Registered
1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD
1,589 Posts
As far as the rubber smell... when I hit it hard I always smell a little heat, like rubber or other hot under-the-hood materials. I think that's normal. I also smell oil in mine because I have a very slow oil leak (case half seals).

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,126 Posts
:thepan: Look through the archives and find out how to pull and interpret DIC codes. A full-stop engine shutdown will set one or more codes and tell you why. Except for the acceleration shutdown your description is classic crankshaft position sensors. (CKP) It's all in the technical and archive sections.

·
Registered
Cadillac 98sls
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks lbwd that sounds about right I hope so. submariner Iwill look it up in tech arcives i really thank you this is my frist thread reply and very thankful for all you guys help.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
The brand of gas has nothing to do with a stall like you describe. CKP sensors are highly suspect. Did you pull the codes again after the stall? That should be your first step.

·
Registered
Crimson Pearl 2001 STS
126 Posts
I think the Crank Shaft codes are P033x or something close to that. I stalled out yesterday, checked the codes directly after, and got one. I figured that this was the issue since I knew one of the sensors was faulty. Out of curiosity, would this make the car hard to start on occasion?

·
Registered
Cadillac 98sls
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks ranger I trust your answer got much respect for you will check ckp sensors and get back to you. playdr4me and jchuges101 thanks man.:bouncy:

·
Super Moderator
86,990 Posts
Yes, I think a CKP sensor CAN affect starting, though I would not swear to it. Usually they seem to cause a stall and the car starts right back up.

·
Registered
Cadillac 98sls
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
car stalled on me again this moning when i came to a stop sign. check code no codes nothing so what should i do? change the ckp are what.get back to me fellas thank you.

·
Super Moderator
86,990 Posts
An intermittent fuel pump is another possibility, but being intermittent, the only way to tell if it is the problem is to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and tape it to the windshield and watch the pressure as you drive and when it stalls. Otherwise you could throw a couple of CKP sensors at it and hope that was the problem.

·
Registered
Cadillac 98sls
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im going to change the ckp sensors and see what happens thanks ranger. let you know what happens soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts