Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 STS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I just spent most of my morning reading through the many treads in this forum. WOW! what a great wealth of knowledge. I've already started a shopping list.:D

Anyway, I found this site because I'm having troubles with the 98 STS I bought last month with the N* engine. It ran great until yesterday on my way back from a 7 hour road trip (5 hours in). In the snow (northern Ontario) the traction control had kicked in a few times and then the engine just shut down. I coasted to the roadside and tried to restart with no luck. It would turn over but not kick in. After an hour of sitting there while waiting for a tow, I tried again (had been every 10 minutes) and BINGO, she fired up like nothing had happened but with the check engine light on.

Drove to a local garage and he read the codes for me. PO371A, PI375 and PI377A. He reset the codes and all was fine for the balance of the trip. I was hoping to get it in to my local service center on Tuesday to get it checked out.

This morning I drove about 15 minutes to get my daughter to work and on the way back, the ABS kicked in with some slush on the road and the engine shut down again. :banghead: Almost as if I had just turned off the ignition. All the lights were still on but no RPM's. This time it restarted after a few minutes but was almost like it was not firing on all cylinders. It crawled back home, thankfully only about 2 minutes down the road. About an hour later, she starts great again but with the check engine light back on.

I read the instructions on getting the codes but they do not seem to wok for me. My CCC has no ON button or WARMER button. I have nobs to control the heat settings which also push in and out for switching off and on.

Anyway. My question is do these coade give anyone any thoughts on what could be happening? The guy at the service center suggested maybe transmission problems but could not check the fluid level. Said they are sealed units.

Please excuse my ignorance in this matter as this is my first caddy and I am just starting to get familiar with the vehicle.

Stephen

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Here, these sites should be of use to you in the future;
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cadidiag.html
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

P0371 - IC 24X Reference Circuit Too Many Pulses
P1357 - IC Output High/Pulse Detected when GND_Cyl. 7
P1377 - IC Cam Pulse To 4X Reference Pulse

IC = Ignition Control

Definately not a tranny problem. Either your camshaft position sensor is bad, or the IC module is bad. Can't think of any way that the EBTCM (Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module) could tie into the problem though.... Maybe its the wiring harness... :hmm:

Come to think of it, it would make sense if it were the wiring harness, close to where it connects into the PCM because the "Cam", "24x", and "4x" wires trail next to the wires from the EBTCM there.

Ohh yeah, almost forgot... :welcome: :wave:

·
Registered
98 STS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links and the info. This will help me to be better informed when I get to the service center on Tuesday. I hate going in blind and as I said earlier, am just starting to get up to speed on this vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: 98 STS Stalling and Starting I have a 98 STS that just stopped anytytime, anywhe

mcsteve said:
Hey. I just spent most of my morning reading through the many treads in this forum. WOW! what a great wealth of knowledge. I've already started a shopping list.:D

Anyway, I found this site because I'm having troubles with the 98 STS I bought last month with the N* engine. It ran great until yesterday on my way back from a 7 hour road trip (5 hours in). In the snow (northern Ontario) the traction control had kicked in a few times and then the engine just shut down. I coasted to the roadside and tried to restart with no luck. It would turn over but not kick in. After an hour of sitting there while waiting for a tow, I tried again (had been every 10 minutes) and BINGO, she fired up like nothing had happened but with the check engine light on.

Drove to a local garage and he read the codes for me. PO371A, PI375 and PI377A. He reset the codes and all was fine for the balance of the trip. I was hoping to get it in to my local service center on Tuesday to get it checked out.

This morning I drove about 15 minutes to get my daughter to work and on the way back, the ABS kicked in with some slush on the road and the engine shut down again. :banghead: Almost as if I had just turned off the ignition. All the lights were still on but no RPM's. This time it restarted after a few minutes but was almost like it was not firing on all cylinders. It crawled back home, thankfully only about 2 minutes down the road. About an hour later, she starts great again but with the check engine light back on.

I read the instructions on getting the codes but they do not seem to wok for me. My CCC has no ON button or WARMER button. I have nobs to control the heat settings which also push in and out for switching off and on.

Anyway. My question is do these coade give anyone any thoughts on what could be happening? The guy at the service center suggested maybe transmission problems but could not check the fluid level. Said they are sealed units.

Please excuse my ignorance in this matter as this is my first caddy and I am just starting to get familiar with the vehicle.

Stephen
Hi Steve: I have a 98STS. At about 85K it just shut off anytime, anywhere, any time. iT WOULD START IMMEDIATELY. They put in a new fuel pump, filter etc. etc....then I LEFT IT OVERNIGHT AND THEY FOUND IT TO BE AN IGNITION SWITCH. iT HAS WORKED GREAT SINCE.....ClaudeDR

·
Registered
98 STS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it turned out to be an Ignition Module. Having 112,000 km on it when I purchased it last month, I decided to get an aftermarket warranty put on it to cover all of the electronics. Give me a set of points and condensor and I'll tweek the sh*t out of it. These computers are for scientists and I'm not one.:hmm:

Anyway, I bought the AMW from a company called Lubrico. They were supposed to be decent comany to deal with :lies: and the policy stated "Computerised Electronic Ignition Control Module". :thehand: Now they state that the part (which their mechanic calls an Ignition Control Module) is not the same thing.

Well I fought them :rant2: for two days and now they are "showing some good will" and sending me a check for the part and the installation cost. I don't mind coughing up some bucks for the diagnostics. I expected to have to do that. But it burns me when these guys are a warranty company and then fight you :thepan: so they don't have to provide what you paid to get.

·
Registered
'95 White Diamond Eldorado Biarritz
184 Posts
mcsteve said:
Well, it turned out to be an Ignition Module. Having 112,000 km on it when I purchased it last month, I decided to get an aftermarket warranty put on it to cover all of the electronics. Give me a set of points and condensor and I'll tweek the sh*t out of it. These computers are for scientists and I'm not one.:hmm:

Anyway, I bought the AMW from a company called Lubrico. They were supposed to be decent comany to deal with :lies: and the policy stated "Computerised Electronic Ignition Control Module". :thehand: Now they state that the part (which their mechanic calls an Ignition Control Module) is not the same thing.

Well I fought them :rant2: for two days and now they are "showing some good will" and sending me a check for the part and the installation cost. I don't mind coughing up some bucks for the diagnostics. I expected to have to do that. But it burns me when these guys are a warranty company and then fight you :thepan: so they don't have to provide what you paid to get.
AMW companies are notoriously scandallous...My Dad bought one for his Dodge intrepid...He spent $2500 on it....And once they paid for $2600 worth of repairs the arbitrarily terminated the contract...with 7 months of coverage remaining!...(they basically said "go ahead...sue us..")...On the other hand I got a AMW from the Cadillac dealership, who sold numerous warranty's for a company called Western Diversified...And that warranty went like clock work...Svc. Manager handled everything....I would just take my car in..Pay the deductable ($50) and walk out...I believe the dealership had alot of leverage over the AMW company....Due to the fact that they sold/marketed W.D. warranty's to many customers who bought used Cadillacs.

·
Registered
98 STS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, I think it really depends on who you deal with. This company - Lubrico _ says I have to take it to their approved shop, not the caddy dealer to get the covered work done. The guy they use is decent and has a great reputation, but he can't do the warranty work on the emmissions that is still covered by Cadillac. So now I need to take it to 2 shops depending what work needs doing.

I ussually do get the AMW just in case something major dropps out the bottom end. The car I drive for work is a taurus and it has always been a mule for service. I don't think I've ever had a major problem with one. I pur about 70,000 km a year on it so it gets replaced every 2 years. But the caddy was used so I wanted to err on the safe side.

I think the worst part is that a lot of people who get these warranties don't know anything at all about the cars and when the AMW guys tell them its not covered, they just accept it. And guess who is laughing all the way to the bank with their money. There are decent ones out there but I think this Lubrico may turn out to be a bit of a peach to deal with.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
I was wondering about those AMW. I looked at a couple online but really haven't had time to research the whole thing. The one thing I do know is that for some strange reason they call and email me every other day almost to the point of harrasment. That I don't understand it's like they are chasing me, and that gives me second thoughts. I think I'll see what my local caddie dealer has to offer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts