Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 seville sts
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the ampfuse and audio fuse just to verify that there not blown , because my radio had no sound , now Im getting a "service anti-theft" on the dash...and for some reason my battery is draining at a fast rate..please help...my battery finnaly died

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,078 Posts
Re: 98 STS - car wont start

You screwed with the TheftLock system and serial data bus for the whole car - the head unit is an integral part of that circuit. Also sounds like either an audio amp or other electrical load is not dropping out on RAP.

Maybe N*Caddy can offer more insight on clearing TheftLock.

Codes and definitions ??

·
Registered
98 seville sts
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 98 STS - car wont start

why would the battery drain at a fast rate??

----------

I cant pullcodes because the battery died within 30min

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Looks like a RAP issue to me. The Radio fuse also supplies power to the RAP relay (controls) from what I remember (in my car).
We can guess for hours what could it be, but the proper way of getting to the bottom of this is using an ampmeter and pulling fuses one by one until you find the one draining the power.
You should see a overall current consumption of ~2.x A (x>.3) after the ignition was just switched OFF and the exterior lamps are OFF.
Then in the following 2-3 minutes the overall current consumption should drop to less than 100 mA. Past the 5 minutes mark you should see no more than 30mA current flow. During this time you don't touch the remote, open a door or anything (generally do not touch the car).
To pull the codes it takes ~1 minute and you can do it with the engine running (I don't see the problem pulling the codes).
To test the circuits, turn off EVERYTHING, connect the battery charger to the battery, disconnect one of the battery cables (the charger remains connected to the battery) and then install an Ampmeter between the battery terminal and the battery cable. Make sure the Ampmeter has a minimum 10A rating (have it protected with a fuse). While the Ampmeter is connected do not attempt to start the car or turn lights (especially headlamps or rear defogger). Just temporarily pull fuses one by one observing when a significant drop in the current consumption happens.
You found your circuit. Mind you that fuse may protect the device consuming the current, but the device itself is turned on by the control circuit, so if you pull the fuse and see a significant drop may be the furse protecting the consumer or the fuse protecting the controls.
You should understand easily what I am explaining to be able to diagnose the issue on your own, if not you may need professional help. Also you can't possibly diagnose the car with no schematics (you definitely need a FSM for this).

·
Registered
98 seville sts
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fixed the problem, I recharged the battery using my wife's hummer and let it run for 30min. As soon as I connected the last terminal on the battery I hit the unlock button and the car came to life the headlights turned on the driver seat went to there programmed settings also the yellow security light turned and the service anti theft code disappeared. The dash was showing 11.7 amps so I crossed my fingers so I fired it up it took 5 seconds and fired right up...I was so glad I avoided towing it to the dealer

----------

P.S. I hit the unlock button on the remote I believe that by disconnecting the battery overnight it reseted System somehow...thank god...the last amperage reading was 14.2 ... So I'm quessing I'm in good shape

----------

I also did a few redline passes and a freeway speed pass so. To Ensure that the battery is well charged

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Looks like you need professional help. The value you see on your dash is VOLT not AMP. The volts measure the electrical potential (your car voltage should normally be between 12.2V and 14.8V. The AMPs measure the electrical current (the flow if you will) and in your car should be between 30mA (everything off) and up to 40A (everything on) - considerably more when cranking.
Since these 2 values are not so intuitive, imagine a water fall, the higher it is (so the higher the water falls from) the greater the voltage. The more water flows trough the fall the more the amps.
You should not mix up these 2 to be able to service the car. I am not trying to make you feel in any way bad, each one is good in a certain field. I am just trying to save you some money, better pay somebody before is too expensive.

·
Registered
98 seville sts
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At this point everything is working properly, although I'm not sure if its normal but the day after usage volts are at 11.7-11.9 ..But the car turns on normally ...the battery shows a date of jan-9..does that mean it was purchased in 2009? If so I'm quessing the battery or the alternator is going bad right? What do u guys think ur input is appreciated

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,078 Posts
I also did a few redline passes and a freeway speed pass so. To Ensure that the battery is well charged
Your DIC display reads out in DC Volts, not Amps.

Short hops or runs to high engine speeds will not insure a fully charged battery. Only a LONG drive during daylight or the use of a battery maintainer will fully charge a car battery. Get into some battery websites and study up on the way a car's voltage regulator controls voltage and amperage during normal engine operation. www.balmar.net is good - they make a huge line of marine alternators and regulators, and they explain why it all works like it does. www.rollsbattery.com has good wet cell lead-acid battery information.

Different battery makers use different manuacture date codes. Hard to call specific dates without the maker's definitions.

·
Registered
98 seville sts
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys... for your input... Im taking my battery to Napa today and have it checked out..And go from there, I still have that no sound from the speakers issue..I'm not qualified or comfortable working on Cadillacs so I'm making an appointment with my local dealer and have it checked out....I will checkout those websites and start doing my homework I plan on keeping my Seville for a longtime...I'm use to working on Mustangs so I know this a completely different animal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts