Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Seville SLS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 seville sls, it overheats randomly and loses coolant.
When it heats up it pukes coolant through the reservoir cap. I did a compression test, all the cylinders read normal. I replaced the thermostat and there are no visible leaks on coolant system.

someone help i cant think of anything else it could be.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,998 Posts
Compression test won't tell you anything. Do a cylinder pressure test. Check the purge line, tensioner, thermostat and cap.

·
Super Moderator
86,998 Posts
Yeah, I should store them. This is getting old fast.

·
Registered
1996 STS
105 Posts
Also check the fans, make sure they are coming on, or at least at the right time. ALso check your exhaust, and just because you cant see any white smoke doesnt mean you're not burning coolant.

Man, I'm happy I'm past that whole nightmare, it's nice to have a car that doesn't overheat anymore.

·
Super Moderator
86,998 Posts
Pull the line off of the surge tank at idle (engine cold). It should flow coolant. Flow will increase with RPM. If it flows coolant it is OK. If not, locate and clear the obstruction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
checked the purge line and its flowing constant and increases with RPMs. i hear fluids sloshing around whenever i accelerate or turn. the only thing i have not checked or changed is the coolant cap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i replaced the cap and it still will shoot about 3/4 up the gauge and randomly drop to normal if it is the heater core how do i deal with that

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Best bet would be to take it to a shop and get it tested. overheating is never a good thing and will only lead to more expensive repairs if you continue to drive the car.

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
chrislikescrazy; said:
the only thing i have not checked or changed is the coolant cap.

There are plenty of things you haven't checked yet.

Did you check the water pump belt? tensioner? radiator plugged? Coolant for exhaust gases? Crossover for leaks? Water pump for leaks?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts