Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Seville SLS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding my '98 Seville SLS.

Supposedly the car has an 18.6gallon tank, But after filling it up fully with gas and driving it, the gage gets to E and the low fuel warning comes up on the DIC, but when I check the gas used, It is just under 15 gallons and when I fill it up, it's exactly how much gas the DIC says I've used.

Anyone else has this issue? Or is this normal?

·
Registered
1998 Seville SLS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So even though it is on E it has still 3 gallons or more in there?

Anyone ever run theirs dry? :bouncy:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
There is a 3 gallon "reserve" or safety factor so to speak.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,126 Posts
:thumbsup: Exactly the same on our '02. Once (ONCE) I ran it down to a 17.5 gallon refill, and then had headaches about running the in-tank pump dry ( a NO-NO !) When the lights come on, fill it up............

·
Registered
1998 Seville SLS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah my other cars have a 2gallon reserve, but usually the 'reserve' display comes on so I wasn't sure. I'll just refill it every 15 gallons.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
99 STS
269 Posts
Chevy is notorious for having a 50 mile reserve when the low fuel light comes on on every model of vehicle the produce, from a 2.0L cavalier to a 8.1L avalanche 2500. At 16 MPG street, 3 gallons gives you 48 miles so yeah 3 gals is about right.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
I've long been in a habit of refueling when the gauge gets down to 1/4. It's usually truly at 1/4 of a tank at that point (and yes, the gauge does tend to drop off like a rock from there). But you never know when you'll be stuck somewhere, or have to make a big detour, or have to park on an incline, etc. Especially when traveling on the interstate, where you might have a 20 mile traffic snag, refilling before the tank gets mostly dry is just good practice (in my opinion).

Plus -- I never totally trust gas gauges. I'd trust that fuel used reading long before I'd trust an analog fuel gauge.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
You can also trust in trip computer (fuel used section )

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
When I first got mine fixed, it was on EMPTY, it died on the way to the gas station. Took 16 gallons to fill it. When mine hits E, it's D-E-D Dead, I think the 18 is a misprint.

·
Registered
99 STS
269 Posts
When I first got mine fixed, it was on EMPTY, it died on the way to the gas station. Took 16 gallons to fill it. When mine hits E, it's D-E-D Dead, I think the 18 is a misprint.
I dont know what your SLS is about, but on a trip from LA to Vegas where i live currently i pushed my gas farther than i should have, and when i got into vegas it was below the E line, i filled up and it took 17.7 gallons so... I dont know. I have a 98 SLS as well...

Adam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts