Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 98 sls with 103,000 miles. I want to change the coolant. I noticed it has green coolant in it now not Dex. When I refill what should I use green or Dex? Thanks

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
I had a similar problem! My STS had been serviced at a Vauxhall dealership over here in the UK for most of it's life, and this week is the first time it's had Dex in it for a long time- and it was obvious when changing it that this wasn't a great thing! I wouldn't want to tempt fate so would use Dex :)

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Well since green is in there now, you have to change the coolant every 2 years, even if you change it back to dex-cool. Put whatever one is the cheepest. Just know to change it every 2 years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I began to drain and noticed that dex is in there. Only thing I can think of is that they toped off surge tank with green coolant. What should I put in there or does it even matter at this point. I will probably drain and refill once a year from this point on anyway.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,114 Posts
You're probably OK until you get a day's break in order to do a complete coolant changeout.........late ethylene glycol "green" coolant is mostly silicate-free and will mix with DexCool types. Take the time to look at the coolant and dexcool thread history to gain some insight, and use the GM-recommended crushed tablets in the lower hose upon refill. (The Bar's tablets are cheap, even at a GM parts counter...) After the change, be alert for an occasional top-up for a month or so. Fill to the surge tank indicated level... not more.....and changing coolant once a year is wasting money.... follow the recommended service schedules.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts