Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after reading all of the horror stories here, I was extremely reluctant to change these, but after doing it, it's not all that bad.

I moved my seat back as far as it would go and then layed the back down. I found the access door and took it off. The first filter was jammed, so I wiggled it around and yanked on it till it popped free. After that, the others came out easily. I just bent them around the gas pedal while holding the shifter cable up out of my way.

They were horribly dirty, so I cleaned them up with a water hose and compressed air and then let them dry in the sun.

Next I had to put em back in. The first went in easy and I moved it to the top of the compartment, so I could still see the tabs. Next I put the second one in by putting the bottom in first, and then bending the top into the slot of the first one. The third one was the exact same way.

All in all, it took 30 minutes, 10 to get them out and 20 to install. I was shocked at how easy it was, I rate the job difficulty at 3/10. Maybe due to my experience :hmm:? Power brake booster on an 88 Silverado, Heater core on a Mark VIII, Ball joints and spark plugs on a 96 T10 blazer, HG on a N* caddy. Those were terrible jobs, this was easy.

The good news here is that my AC blows much better now and my heater, outside air, and dual zone AC all works now, which it didn't before.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i never want to even remotely consider doing this again on my SLS !!
So it's nice to hear that someone out there breezed through it.

my problem, now, is ...... what to do the next time this servicing is needed; I'd even be willing to (arrgghh!!) take it to a dealer; except how would you ever know if it was done correctly?? it's an easy job to fudge, or just jam the b*ggers in there however you can. Unless the customer actually takes them out & inspects, you'd never know if it was done correctly.

So maybe I'll just go the stereotypical route of "when the ashtrays are full, it's time to just trade 'er in."

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i never want to even remotely consider doing this again on my SLS !!
So it's nice to hear that someone out there breezed through it.

my problem, now, is ...... what to do the next time this servicing is needed; I'd even be willing to (arrgghh!!) take it to a dealer; except how would you ever know if it was done correctly?? it's an easy job to fudge, or just jam the b*ggers in there however you can. Unless the customer actually takes them out & inspects, you'd never know if it was done correctly.

So maybe I'll just go the stereotypical route of "when the ashtrays are full, it's time to just trade 'er in."
Oh, trust me, they can't be just "jammed" in there :crowded:, I tried ;). The bottom one wont fit if you do it like that.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
Bigmutt,
You lived without them for years. Why worry about them now. If I ever had to do another on a Seville, I'd just yank it and forget it. The Deville is another story (very easy).

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bigmutt,
You lived without them for years. Why worry about them now. If I ever had to do another on a Seville, I'd just yank it and forget it. The Deville is another story (very easy).
I agree here, if I would have had the trouble that most had, I would have left the damned things out.

I do like the fact that they filter dust and smells, but not to the point of taking half of my interior apart to change it.

·
Registered
2001 SLS
27 Posts
Ok, after reading all of the horror stories here, I was extremely reluctant to change these, but after doing it, it's not all that bad.

I moved my seat back as far as it would go and then layed the back down. I found the access door and took it off. The first filter was jammed, so I wiggled it around and yanked on it till it popped free. After that, the others came out easily. I just bent them around the gas pedal while holding the shifter cable up out of my way.

They were horribly dirty, so I cleaned them up with a water hose and compressed air and then let them dry in the sun.

Next I had to put em back in. The first went in easy and I moved it to the top of the compartment, so I could still see the tabs. Next I put the second one in by putting the bottom in first, and then bending the top into the slot of the first one. The third one was the exact same way.

All in all, it took 30 minutes, 10 to get them out and 20 to install. I was shocked at how easy it was, I rate the job difficulty at 3/10. Maybe due to my experience :hmm:? Power brake booster on an 88 Silverado, Heater core on a Mark VIII, Ball joints and spark plugs on a 96 T10 blazer, HG on a N* caddy. Those were terrible jobs, this was easy.

The good news here is that my AC blows much better now and my heater, outside air, and dual zone AC all works now, which it didn't before.
Good to hear it :highfive:. I found that clipping off the guides from the tabs on each filter made them go in like a snap. The whole job took me about 45 minutes. 35 minutes of trying :banghead: with no luck. 10 minutes after I removed the guides from the tabs. You said you cleaned them with a water hose and compressed air, wont that ruin the charcoal filter? :hmm:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to hear it :highfive:. I found that clipping off the guides from the tabs on each filter made them go in like a snap. The whole job took me about 45 minutes. 35 minutes of trying :banghead: with no luck. 10 minutes after I removed the guides from the tabs. You said you cleaned them with a water hose and compressed air, wont that ruin the charcoal filter? :hmm:
Yeah, it did, but who cares? The only that that the charcoal does is filter out smells.

·
Registered
2001 SLS
27 Posts
I liked having them out myself, but it was nice to not have to smell the cow farms on my way to the in-laws :cow:. I was just wondering if getting the charcoal filters wet would mess up it's integrity and ability to work correctly?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts