Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 STS
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Seville SLS, with 105,000 miles. I just bought it about a month ago and I love it. I need some ideas for upgrades to the car. I nabbed some STS wheels from a friend of mine and threw those on with some new tires. Thats about the extent of what I have done to the car with the exception of oil tranny and coolant change when i bought it. I have an exhaust system on order from borla. But I would really really like to know if there are some performance upgrades that anyone knows of. I am less interested in cosmetic upgrades but if you know of any please still let me know.

Adam

·
Registered
99 STS
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
man that was worthless...it seems im into buying cars with absolutely no aftermarket support...02 chrysler sebring...snooze. 05 Toyota tacoma x-runner....kick ASS! 98 SLS i love it but... the 245 hp x-runner was faster than the 295 hp SLS...oh well i still love er

·
Registered
2000 Seville SLS
89 Posts
275hp SLS. There are things you can do to gain performance, but your options are extremely limited, and all very costly. Instead of worrying about increasing your performance, worry about saving money to put into your car when things start going bad. Cadillacs are not cheap to maintain, especially ones like ours with 90,000+ miles on the clock.

·
Registered
99 STS
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not too worried about things going bad. its only got 105K on it and i say only because i have all the service records. besides that i bought it from a dealership i used to work for, and it has new rings, and everything checked out with the heads off and pistons out...

all for the low low price of just 6000 haha
oh well

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
...Cadillacs are not cheap to maintain, especially ones like ours with 90,000+ miles on the clock.
Where does this myth come form that these cars are expensive to maintain... These cars have some of the lowest maintenance requirements of any car on the road. If you find the car expensive to maintain, you are probably following the dealer's recommend maintenance schedule which only benefits the dealer's bank account..

Follow the MANUFACTURES maintenance schedule and you will find these cars amazingly cheap to live with.

My buddies 98 STS (>100,000 miles) has needed oil, gas, brake pads, tires, coolant .... and that's it... ~$200 a year...

My 02 (~80,000 mile) is running about ~$300 in maintenance a year...

Cheap like borscht!

·
Registered
2000 Seville SLS
89 Posts
I didn't say it was expensive for everyone. Read around the forum, shit goes bad, and it is not cheap. There are a lot more things on a Cadillac to go bad than there are on a Ford or Chevy, and that's a fact. To perform regular "maintenance", sure it's not much different than any other car, but replacement parts for things that go bad cost a lot, as does the labor if you can't do it yourself. There IS a reason that some car places won't go anywhere near Cadillacs.

·
Registered
1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD
1,589 Posts
Welcome. You could focus on the "pimp-aspect" of it. Since power is hard to modify in these cars, get a train horn, 22's, tinted windows, subs, whatever else. It's easy to look good in them and that's what they're for. I had some pimps ask me if I was selling my STS several times. It's stock with nice paint and a window tint. I do have subs and just ordered a train horn. :) Have fun with it.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
I didn't say it was expensive for everyone. Read around the forum, shit goes bad, and it is not cheap. There are a lot more things on a Cadillac to go bad than there are on a Ford or Chevy, and that's a fact.
You should try and avoid sweeping statements like the one above...
This is not a fact.

There are lots of chevy's and fords that are as complicated (or even more so) then our Sevilles and Eldos... The number of sensors in a similar model year Corvette for example is on par with our cars as is the technology in some of the high end "tarted-up" trucks... If you want to see complicated take a look at some of the top end mini vans with 2 sound systems... DVD players... auto open and close sliding doors etc...

Actually if you were to count up the number of sensors on just about any ODBII car you will find them amazingly close...

And the parts for these cars... compared to other luxury cars are amazingly cheap... My steering sensor was $70. compare that with BMW... MB... Lexus.. (2-3x the cost) My seat element was $50...(again 1/2 price) etc. (BTW my steering sensor is also used on several other GM products... including several chevy's and GMC trucks)

I regularly drive one of 2 cars: a 2002 STS with about 80,000 miles and a 1987 Olds 442 with about 90,000 miles... The 442 is Old School dead simple... Though it does have the CCC Q-Jet... That car is a constant project of tinkering and adjusting and maintaining... The Caddy you just gas up and go.... and when something breaks it tells you which part is bad...

It really doens't get any better then that!

·
Registered
99 STS
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome. You could focus on the "pimp-aspect" of it. Since power is hard to modify in these cars, get a train horn, 22's, tinted windows, subs, whatever else. It's easy to look good in them and that's what they're for. I had some pimps ask me if I was selling my STS several times. It's stock with nice paint and a window tint. I do have subs and just ordered a train horn. :) Have fun with it.
Thanks man, its nice to see someone actually replying to the subject of the thread instead of arguing over if its expensive to own a llac or not.

By the way, according to edmunds.com cadillac is the most expensive GM product over the life of the vehicle. Not including MSRP.

Adam

·
Registered
99 STS
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks man, its nice to see someone actually replying to the subject of the thread instead of arguing over if its expensive to own a llac or not.

By the way, according to edmunds.com cadillac is the most expensive GM product over the life of the vehicle. Not including MSRP. I hope that puts this to rest

Adam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts