Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 fleetwood brougham, 1998 sedan deville
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just recently drove my deville from washington to so cal towing a 4 x 8 uhaul trailer. It was a terrible trip. The car has 140k. The alternator went out in Salt Lake, then the radiator started leaking when we got to our destination. There are a series of crazy hills in the Mojave desert that made the car get hot, 250+ degrees, and turned the a/c off. It now has a new alt, and rad. The car seems to drive fine except it is lacking a little power. Then today I was on my way to Big Bear, with out a trailer, when I started up the mountain the engine seemed to be stuggling and the temp started to rise(240+). I stopped and turned around. The temp dropped back down 190-210. The computer is giving P1520 history code, transmission range switch circuit any ideas on what I should do. I love my car and need it, but I am afraid to drive it. Could it be that my cat. converter is going bad?

Thanks for any help.
Jon

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
I had the same code on my deville the entire time i owned it. I would go have the coolant tested for exhaust gases, could be a headgasket, especially if it got up to 250.

·
Registered
1985 fleetwood brougham, 1998 sedan deville
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the coolant checked and good news, the head gasket checked out ok. I also had the cat checked and that is also ok. I drove the car around town today and it isn't overheating (195-225). When the radiator was replaced some tranny fluid was lost, it was overfilled about 6 oz. Could that make the engine strain under a load and make it overheat? I found a reciept from the last oil change and they used 10-40 could that do it? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,999 Posts
I don't think either of those would cause an overheat situation.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Is it shifting into high gear??? Maybe it is running in second, with a resultant overheating problem in the desert type of environment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts