Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my struts have been shot awhile now. Price to buy the four struts new are amazingly high, and I can't seem to find any used that are in good shape. So a neigbor says that he could try installing stock struts and bypass the air ride system on my deville. I am wondering if anyone knows if this is possible and a good idea? Will there be lights stuck on such as warnings, Service Engine light, etc.?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,547 Posts
Are you talking about the fronts or the rears? Does your car have CVRSS or passive struts?

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All four need to be replaced. The rear sinks real low and are in worse shape. I don't know about the CVRSS or passive, just know they use the air compressor as I know that is still working from hearing it run a lot trying to lift the rear of the car. And that the air ride system would have to be bypassed.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,547 Posts
CVRSS is Constantly Variable Road sensing System. The front struts would be active (electronic). Going with a passive strut would set of messages and would have to be bypassed. It was an option and not on many Devilles.

Personally, I would not bypass the ELC system in the rear, but unplugging the compressor would not cause any messages.

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told all four need to be replaced at once because of the bypass on the air ride. Anyway it sounds like you think that going with a stock brand strut will work, right? Can't afford the 3-400 they want for each strut

·
Registered
Cadillac
13 Posts
If you don't have the active ride system as Ranger asked, you basically just have air shocks in the rear and regular old struts in the front.

Look to be sure what you're running. I read all of the stuff about the high end suspension and just assumed that was standard caddy fare.

It seems most base devilles (not the DHS, DTS, Concourse, etc) don't have the fancy set up.

I just put Monroe struts ($82 apiece) in the front and a pair of Monroe air shocks in the rear ($74 for the pair) myself over the weekend. The Monroe's I got from Advance Auto were direct replacements that worked wth the stock level control compressor in the car. If your main concern is the compressor running all the time you may just have a leaky shock (that was my issue).

I swear I bought a new car. I loved it before but it rides like a freekin' dream now....

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Deville
65 Posts
Would those shocks work on a 97 base Deville as well? I'm awfully tired of the car bottoming out and being unstable on the highway.

·
Registered
Cadillac
13 Posts
I dunno... I went back to the auto parts sites (Advance and AutoZone) and all they list are the active suspension parts for 97-98. The kits from Arnott (sponsor here) are pretty reasonable and alot cheaper than going back to OEM if the active set up is what you have....

·
Registered
1998 Deville Base, 1999 Deville D'Elegance
107 Posts
dutchinohio -

Can you please post the part numbers you installed? I have been researching struts and have not been able to find a "passive" strut solution from Monroe for these cars. Their online catalog only shows the active struts for 97-99 . . . I've been thinking there may be a cross reference from passive Deville struts to another vehicle and that might provide us with more options.

Thanks!

Andrew

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dutchinohio, Was there any problem with codes coming up not using the air ride. Any lights come on ServEng, Warnings on the dash, etc.?

·
Registered
Cadillac
13 Posts
No issues with any codes ever. I think my base 03 might be different from the earlier cars. There are no sensor hook ups on any of the four corners. Just a connector at each hub, I assume for traction control and/or anti-locks.

I used Monroe 71685 Sensa-trac struts and Monroe MA822 air shocks in the rear. Not sure if those are Advance Auto numbers or Monroe, but you can find them on the on-line catalog for Advance.

As I said, though, Advance doesn't show these crossong to earlier cars. My base Deville has the leveling system in the rear, but other than that it appears to just be a pretty normal ol' passive suspension.

Even if these fit your cars, if you have active systems I suspect you would need the resistors like Suncore sells to quiet down your codes and blinking dashes....

·
Registered
99 deville
12 Posts
I have a 99 deville and have found a delco shock 505-525 front and 505-526 rear that are passive shocks much cheaper, than the electronic shock. These will fit a 99Deville but I am not sure what other years they fit.
A diode can be bought at radio shack and connected to the wire that connected to the shocks to prevent a code to be set. To get the proper ohm resistance check out some of the aftermarket suppliers like strutmasters.
If I remember correctly the fronts where $170 to 200 each and the rear was in the $185 range for the pair

·
Registered
99 deville
12 Posts
OOP's delco part 505-526 is right side front. I cannot find my notes for the rear part number.check with your local auto parts store that sells AC Delco parts for that and years they fit. The 99 had a soft ride option I don't know about other years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts