Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my strut and spring assemblies and am trying to find reasonably price electronic original equipment type. I have used the passive replacement ones with poor results after only 30,000 miles. They never did feel as nice as the original type. Of course, I can't get a decent price from Cadillac. They want more than the car is worth! I do love the cars performance and want to keep it as new as possible.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,112 Posts
:confused: What car, what year, what model ???? Unfortunately, you'll probably find out that OEM is the way back to proper handling and ride, and it ain't cheap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, 98 Deville Concours. I know I saw a website once that advertised a strut/spring combo that was electronic but I can't find it now. It was considerably less expensive than a dealer.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
You have a reason for replacing the springs? Is the ride height way too low or something?

Replacing the struts (removing the springs from your worn out struts and installing the springs on your 'new' struts) is an easy enough job and will require fewer new parts.

My favorite OEM parts source is
http://www.gmotors.com/contact.asp
Brasington Cadillac-Saab
Parts Department
2001 N.W. 13th St.
Gainesville, FL 32601
352-378-5301
800-535-4608
Bill, Marty, Chris (and possibly others)

Have your VIN available.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I thought I need springs is that it bottoms out way too easily. Do weak struts cause that?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Totally worn out (useless) struts provide zero spring rebound control effort. That can and will result in zero effort applied to dampen spring oscillations.

What you will see and feel is bottoming out over obstacles like speed bumps, OR, bouncing more than once over slight dips at highway speeds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, that makes sense. I contacted the Gainesville dealer that was suggested and they have factory active struts [front and rear] for about $2100. Is that a good price? It sounds good compared to my local dealers. Are there any better prices out there?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Thanks, that makes sense. I contacted the Gainesville dealer that was suggested and they have factory active struts [front and rear] for about $2100.
That sounds like a 'parts only' price for all four corners, right?
Is that a good price? It sounds good compared to my local dealers.
Be carefull here, your local dealer could be quoting 'installed' price?
Are there any better prices out there?
Another option is 'aftermarket' parts that are less expensive than OEM GM pieces but they will not perform as well as OEM. That is the compromise. One of the variables is - how long do you plan to drive the car?

Also, aftermarket parts might or might not leave you to deal with a trouble code and suspension message situation.

Consider repairing only the front suspension as a first step. The front suspension on these cars carries more than 50% of the load and wear.

·
Registered
2000 STS RHD 194,150 miles. what's a speed limiter???
219 Posts
monroe sell replacement electronic shocks, they are cheaper than OEM units.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for all your help. I found Monroe electronics at ShockWarehouse.com for about $200 less than OEM. They are on their way!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts