Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville De' elegance
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
I am new to the thread as I have bought my first cadillac here recently. I just did a motor swap on a 98 Cadillac Sedan Deville De'elegance. Let me tell you that was not soo much fun. However, it runs and it runs good. Now I have to work out all the little bugs in the car. Ok, so someone please help me. The radio in the car plays in the AM mode but not in the FM mode. It acts like it is finding the stations but no sound. I have another car with a good donor radio (the car that the motor came out of). Anyone know why mine is doing this and if not can someone please tell me what I need to do in order to just do a swap of the two factory radios????? Someone please help me I am dieing with no radio in the car......

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,547 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the radio is programmed to the VIN or something like that as a theft deterrent. I think you may need to see the dealer. See if others agree.

·
Registered
04 CTS 3.6 Black
29 Posts
radios wernt vin attached until later years. andthe theftlock will disable the radio completely. wouldnt let you do anything.

is the AM playing sound? or is silent as well?

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
If you swap radios you will need the Theftlock code for the donor radio. If you don't know the code Google Theftlock or check ebay there are people that will sell you the code you need for under $5

If your radio is VIN based it requires reprogramming with the Tech2

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville De' elegance
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The radio plays on the AM side but not on the FM side. I just replaced the antenna in the back thinking it was the antenna, also because the antenna didnt go all the way down. The antenna works now, but still no sound on the FM radio side. The clock holds good time and as I stated before the FM side acts like it is finding the stations (going off the local stations that I know, when you hit scan it will stop at those stations) however still no sounds. Riding with no toons is starting to get old really quickly.

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
You will probably need to swap out the radios, a couple of things to check as you have the upscale Deville, it will need to be VIN matched as 98 and up went that route, also check the replacement radio to see if it will swap, by that I mean the rpo codes on the rear tire cover, there were two systems available on the Deville of that year the six speaker and 11 speaker, the center of your dash has a speaker grill, on the 11 its filled by a speaker on the six its empty. The 11 speaker usually comes with the cassette/CD and the six only with Cassette, there was NO BOSE option for these cars from 97 to 99 so don't be looking to replace it with that. The 11 speaker is an awesome system. Good luck and happy hunting

1 - 6 of 6 Posts