Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the 1998 to 2002 Cadillacs reliable? I just left a 1996 LS400 Lexus that had 100,000 miles when I bought it and 180,000 miles when I sold it. Nothing whatsoever failed while I owned it. One trip to shop for timing belt at 120K miles.

I’ve had a 1998 Eldorado with 70,000 miles (very well kept) for a week and the blower motor quit ($480 to $550 total to repair with new part at a shop). After reading other threads some say $2500 per year is common for upkeep of a Cadillac. I don’t have this kind of money or the time if this is true I’m out of this car now and back to the Lexus.

·
Registered
86 Posts
my 94 etc 79,000 has held up quite well but its is a bit more costly tires, mufflers etc b ut the power of the n* makes up for it.i have had mine since may and i have put about 250.00 in to it Get the the el-dog if you like hp.like all good things it costs more but money well spent gl2ya

·
Registered
07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS
453 Posts
I have a 98 Eldorado purchased used w40k and now have 85k on it and other than routine maintenance and replacement of batteries has performed flawlessly. Anything mechanical can need attention. I plan to follow the GM maintenance instructions including new platinum GM plugs and wires @100k. MPG is great for an auto this luxurious- 24 city/29 hwy. Also put new rubber on it, too. Enjoy that 98 Eldo. By the way, I have never spent anything close to $2,500/yr on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I feel somewhat better. Mine was very clean one owner lady driven and I had it checked out prior to buying. Now I am getting a message for "service traction control" every once and a while. Now now If I turn the car off/on it goes away. Comes back after 10-15 starts.

·
Registered
85 Eldo Biarritz
808 Posts
Yeah,
drive slower between traffic lights so you can catch them when they're green! Only drive late at night when there is not much traffic! :D

Don't have a "lead foot".

My 93 only gets about 16 mpg in the city. So, you're doing good. Remeber, this is a good size car with a high performance V8 engine.

Peteski

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts
dougtune said:
Are the 1998 to 2002 Cadillacs reliable? I just left a 1996 LS400 Lexus that had 100,000 miles when I bought it and 180,000 miles when I sold it. Nothing whatsoever failed while I owned it. One trip to shop for timing belt at 120K miles.
I’ve had a 1998 Eldorado with 70,000 miles (very well kept) for a week and the blower motor quit ($480 to $550 total to repair with new part at a shop). After reading other threads some say $2500 per year is common for upkeep of a Cadillac. I don’t have this kind of money or the time if this is true I’m out of this car now and back to the Lexus.
Before this thread goes too far astray, you are comparing apples with oranges. Lexus does not compare on the same level playing field as Cadillac.
I will not get into all the supporting facts, but same year for same year, same accumlated mileage, same maintenance histories, there will be little difference in actual ownership cost. Now, are the two vehicles the same? No!
It is no more fair to comapre a Cadillac with a Lexus as it is a Chevrolet truck to a Toyota truck. They are not the same. The only similarity is that they are both trucks, and that is where the similarity ends.
I drove an Edsel for 11 years (not my only transportation mind you) but it accumulated over 200K miles in 11 years. Should I compare this with my 1991 Seville that packed in a transmission at only 153K miles? No!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I don't know why the media spends so much time making unfair comparisons that ultimately confuses the customer.

All Lexus, All Infinity, All Mercedes, All BMW, are not American designed, American produced automobiles. The brands represent many different models, and maybe one is on par with a Cadillac, but does not sell nearly as many. Parts for most of these must be imported. Quality is slipping and part failures are not uncommon.

If you go to any dealership of the aforementioned brands, you will find the service bays full. They are not all in for just an oil change or a worn fan belt.

·
Registered
07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS
453 Posts
Dougtune, Have you run a code check on the Eldo? If not do it and then post the DTC's here. If you have never done one, use the search above and put in DTC codes for a link to the process. McCowden has a good instructional message on the process. Also, an invaluable asset is the three volume Second Edition GM Service Manual E/Ksp Platform. You can get a set from Helm for about $120 or watch for a used set on ebay at sometimes $30-50. I have saved thousands of dollars by using those manuals. If you have no access to the manuals now, just post any DTC's that you pull and many here, including me, will relate what manuals say about individual DTC's. Good luck and enjoy the luxury! Good tires, fuel filter, quality fuel, and routine maintenance should help the fuel economy. All the material that I have read relates that the platinum plugs and wires should be replaced around 100k. That may be a source of improved fuel economy for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
thanks everyone. I'll run the codes. 2005 Consumer reports has the seeville/eldorado on a list of 20 cars to avoid. Their poll of 96-01 owners over a one year period shows over 10-15% reported electrical problems. power eqip and suspension faired similarly. I agree a lot of reported problems were probably minor and a DIY could take care or them so I'll give it a year before I make any judgements. I really like the car and I do like to keep it american although GM shafted me on a warranty issue on my 4WD that I havnt got over yet.

My experiance shows the used Lexus LS400 costs about twice as much as teh used cadillac but you get it back in the end. I paid $11,000 for a very clean 1996 LS with 100K. Sold it 2.5 years later with 180K for $8700. I'll keep trying the cadillac Total maintenance was about $2000 over that time

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My code reader gives "connect error" reguardless of key position or engine on/off. Its a decent reader (cost $150) not the cheapo. Any ideas?

·
Registered
364 Posts
you would be very shocked to know that the eldo's are holding there value very well..just like the mark VIII people are looking for large two door luxo coupes and are willing to pay for them..i check prices all the time on these two vehicles and they are holding up quite well...just my two cents

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
The best way to measure value is to compare cars is by total cost of ownership (TCO). That means taking into consideration initial price, maintenance costs, mpg and resale value. Unfortunately, I don't see this being done anywhere - every discussion will leave out some part of the equation. Even customer satisfaction ratings are partially subjective.

Car enthusiast magazines usually pit similar cars in their road tests but they are only interested in performance. Occasionaly they will report long term road tests. If performance or looks are your prime motivators then prepare to take your licks.

There's nothing wrong with comparing a Caddy to a Lexus or to a Toyota or...
Just understand the motivation behind your choice and accept whatever comes.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
A Mark VIII will still sell for more than a Town Car or Continental that cost a similar amount when new.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
EcSTSatic said:
The best way to measure value is to compare cars is by total cost of ownership (TCO). That means taking into consideration initial price, maintenance costs, mpg and resale value. Unfortunately, I don't see this being done anywhere - every discussion will leave out some part of the equation. Even customer satisfaction ratings are partially subjective.

Car enthusiast magazines usually pit similar cars in their road tests but they are only interested in performance. Occasionaly they will report long term road tests. If performance or looks are your prime motivators then prepare to take your licks.

There's nothing wrong with comparing a Caddy to a Lexus or to a Toyota or...
Just understand the motivation behind your choice and accept whatever comes.
(TCO) or Total cost of ownership is only good in an ideal world where all people maintain their vehicle according to the manfacturer's recommended service interval. It is a great catch phrase, but not applicable to real life. For example, when the first owner or leasee drives the new car for two years only to stop for gasoline and dipstick reading, then turns the car in for another. The next owner or leasee receives a much higher cost of ownership the following two or more consecutive years. Which owner had the lower TCO?

See where I am going with this? It isn't always a fair world that we live in.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
91TexasSeville said:
(TCO) or Total cost of ownership is only good in an ideal world where all people maintain their vehicle according to the manfacturer's recommended service interval. It is a great catch phrase, but not applicable to real life. For example, when the first owner or leasee drives the new car for two years only to stop for gasoline and dipstick reading, then turns the car in for another. The next owner or leasee receives a much higher cost of ownership the following two or more consecutive years. Which owner had the lower TCO?

See where I am going with this? It isn't always a fair world that we live in.
I agree Texas (I'm heading to San Antonio for Thanksgiving BTW). I was just trying to keep all costs, expenses, in perspective. A Lexus may be a better value even though it costs more because of is high dependability and resale value.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts