Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado ETC
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 Eldorado ETC has been acting up intermittantly for a couple of weeks. This occurs no matter the level of the fuel in the tank. The needle on the gauge will suddenly swing down toward 0 and the chime rings. After a second it climbs back up to the fuel level it previously showed. Then within a few seconds will do the same, needle down and chime then back up. It may do this for a few seconds, or a few minutes. Then it stops and every thing is OK. Just yesterday it started just before my wife filled up (guage was at the 1/4 full mark). After filling up it continued cycling up and down with the chime, up and down with the chime, all the way home, about 15 minutes. Anybody have any ideas? I havent a clue where to start looking unless it's a fuel level sensor in the fuel tank going bad. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & '02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,131 Posts
Re: 98 Eldorado Fuel Guage going bonkers!

My money is on the fuel level sensor/fuel pump since they are integtrated. The GM pick ups are famous for this failing and one trick is if it does it shift into neutral at >10 mph and it will go to normal usually until the next engine on/off cycle.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,532 Posts
Your car requires a tank drop to replace the fuel level sensor, part of the fuel pump module. Given the car age, I would replace the entire pump module and kill 3 birds with one stone - pump, level sender and tank pressure sensor.

Look at www.rockauto.com, Airtex, AC Delco, UltraPower, DELPHI assemblies - all original equipment GM OEM suppliers.

This is the assembly for my car, but it's almost a carbon copy of yours.

("Carbon copy" - obsolete term - I guess it's now "3D printed")

Try this for a tank of gas before you spend the money on a tank drop - find a 20 oz. bottle of Chevron TECHRON (the only "fuel system cleaner" endorsed by GM) and use it with a fill-up of a TopTier gasoline (Google it). The TECHRON sometimes cleans sulfur deposits off that fuel level sender resistance quadrant - they're one cause of erratic fuel gauges. Yes, like alll snake oils and magic additives it's black magic, but it sometimes works. GM endorses TopTier fuels.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts