Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98' Eldorado ESC
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal to not have any airflow through the dashboard vents but only to the back seats and front defroster if the ac system doesn't have any freon? And whenever I turn on the fan nothing blows out just a rumble comes from behind the dash? Any resolutions any will it be costly to repair if there's a problem? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,792 Posts
No or low refrigerant will disable the A/C compressor. Nothing else. If you have the mode set to defrost, you should not have air flow to the dash vents. Air flow depends on what mode you have set. Rumbling is not normal.

·
Registered
98' Eldorado ESC
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I turned it on for about 30 seconds and which ever mode I put it on it always blows out warm air through the front defroster and back seat vents... I have no idea what's going on and will it show up if I pull the codes?

·
Super Moderator
86,792 Posts
Sounds like a bad actuator. Actuators are monitored and should set a DTC if they fail.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Vacuum actuators in the Eldorado. They're not monitored. Does your parking brake release automatically?

·
Registered
72,92,02 Eldorado
185 Posts
Actually they are monitored.
It sounds like both your mode and blend actuators are not working.
I would check the vacuum to the HVAC manifold first.
If it is the actuator itself use AC Delco only.

·
Super Moderator
86,792 Posts
I think MC is correct. Only electrical components can be monitored.

·
Registered
72,92,02 Eldorado
185 Posts
I threw plenty of codes testing out the doorman actuator.

----------

Oops I miss that too.
note vacuum actuators are not monitored

·
Registered
98' Eldorado ESC
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To MC my parking brake doesn't release automatically I have to reach all the way down near the parking brake to release it manually and whats does it matter if I don't have any freon in the system?

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
VACUUM!
On the passenger's side of the firewall locate a harness passing trough the firewall (looks kind of like a connector but is not a connector). Dead center on this connector looking like you will see something that looks like a thicker wire (black and shiny). That is not an wire that is actually a vacuum line, if you follow it in the engine bay it goes underneath the engine cover and connects to the intake manifold just near the backfire release door (behind the PS pump). Half way between the intake manifold and the firewall there is a "T" in the line and the "T"-ed line goes down and eventually end up underneath the battery (on the outside of the engine bay) where there is a vacuum tank. Also near the "T" on the line there is a reed valve (you can suck on the vacuum line from the engine side, but you can't blow).
So you could have the following issues:
1. Leak on the vacuum line at the point where it connects to the intake manifold (the rubber adapter may get soft or brittle in time).
2. Leak on the rubber vacuum line connectors near the "T" point (also the rubber can get brittle)
3. A leak on the line to the vacuum tank, or the vacuum tank itself.
4. A reed valve connected backwards (say if you had somebody servicing the area recently)
5. A leak underneath the dash to the rubber vacuum manifold near the Climate Controller Module (no not the one with the buttons and display, that is just an interface) I am talking about the Controller underneath the glove compartment.
6. No data or power to the above mentioned module.

·
Super Moderator
86,792 Posts
To MC my parking brake doesn't release automatically I have to reach all the way down near the parking brake to release it manually and whats does it matter if I don't have any freon in the system?
Refrigerant in the system has nothing to do with air flow. Refrigerant affects discharge air temperature. Nothing more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts