Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wouldn’t start the other day. Seemed like the battery must have been dead & here's what I've done since:

1. tried jumping it from a neighbors car and nothing happened
2. jumped it from a Stanley FatMax 700A Peak Jump Starter + then someone else’s 1500a jump starter and with both it did turn over but wouldn’t start.
3. figured it must need a new battery. i got a new battery, that didn’t work. tried jumping that battery with the 700a jump starter, that didn’t work.
4. noticed that one of the negative cables had what looked like a hole burned(?) in the rubber, exposing some of the wire; i touched that exposed wire to a piece of metal and used the remote starter to start…it started then shut down again (i’m guessing because i must have moved the cable a little, but i don’t KNOW.)
5. replaced the neg cables. the dude at the parts store insisted that you do not need to use both grounding wires (is this true? i’m wondering if this is the problem or part of it) so i only used the one (so i didn't have to bother with splicing/crimping). the new terminal did spark a little when i put it in, but it seemed like the new one that it came with was just SUPER shitty so i tried the old one, right away the car started clicking/the lights flashed for a second but then that all stopped & i haven’t been able to get that to happen again.
6. nothing else will happen. it won’t turn over, no lights...nothing. BUT the only difference after replacing the cable is that now the service engine light is on all the time (without the key being in or anything) EXCEPT when i turn the key into accessory or try to start it...then it goes off. ???
i also took a pair of jumper cables ran them from the positive to the negative terminals touched them together just to see if it’d spark to make sure everything was making contact, and they did.

That’s about all i can figure out. Any ideas about what might be up???

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,792 Posts
Try running a redundant ground. Take one of the jumper cables and clamp it to the ground cable. Clamp the other end to a good ground on the engine.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
i also took a pair of jumper cables ran them from the positive to the negative terminals touched them together just to see if it’d spark to make sure everything was making contact, and they did.
Short circuiting the battery? That cannot be good and might explain the weird behavior.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
The negative cable from factory has a 2 wires, main ground to engine and small body ground. They both need to be hooked up. If you sparked the battery by touching pos and neg ypu more than likely popped fuse(s) and or toasted a computer. Don't ever do that unless you like spending cash on replacing electronics.
Go back to the basics, battery is good(since you just had replaced), cables are next(once you check for blown fuses).
Another thing do not use high amp starters on these, more than a few have fried stuff doing that. They do not take well to low or high voltages. If battery is dead unhook it and charge up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice, lots of thanks to the person who told me to touch the positive and negative.... I'll check fuses next. Any in particular that are likely to have blown?
Not having the small ground connected- is it likely that that would cause the car not to be able to start? I was under the impression that the smaller one is just an extra precaution

This morning I disconnected the negative cable, when I first put it back I heard some clicking coming from somewhere under the hood...so that's new.

Was also advised that it could be the anti-theft system? That I know nothing about.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts
Nice, lots of thanks to the person who told me to touch the positive and negative.... I'll check fuses next. Any in particular that are likely to have blown?
Not having the small ground connected- is it likely that that would cause the car not to be able to start? I was under the impression that the smaller one is just an extra precaution

This morning I disconnected the negative cable, when I first put it back I heard some clicking coming from somewhere under the hood...so that's new.

Was also advised that it could be the anti-theft system? That I know nothing about.
========================
lots of thanks to the person who told me to touch the positive and negative....
there IS a legitimate reason
to touch the positive and negative battery cables together -

but they MUST be removed from the battery first -

if this is what you did - it did NOT cause any problems -

1 - 6 of 6 Posts