Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Deville
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lately I have noticed when turning my steering wheel to the right, a popping type noise comes from the left wheel well. This only happens when I turn the wheel to the right, or when I'm turning it back to the left to make the wheel straight again. I'm assuming I need new shocks or something? Could you guys give me an idea of what's goin on? I'm not very mechanically inclined.

EDIT: I forgot to add it also sounds kind of "wobbly" when I go over a bump of any sort, if you know what i mean... :bigroll:

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
A CV joint will click, rhythmically, while the wheels are turned in a corner. Not when the steering wheel is being turned.

The car needs to be put up on a rack, and the steering/suspension joints checked (ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings...).

·
Registered
Deville
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A CV joint will click, rhythmically, while the wheels are turned in a corner. Not when the steering wheel is being turned.

The car needs to be put up on a rack, and the steering/suspension joints checked (ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings...).

I did just watch a video on someone with a bad CV joint and it just sounded like a constant clicking the whole time he was turning the corner. In my case, it is not like that.

I guess I'll be bringing it to the shop...again, already over 2k put into it in just the past month alone.:mad2:

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Necessity is the mother of invention, a wise man once said. I used to take my cars to the shop for everything, no matter how big or small. Being perpetually financially challenged, however, has been the mother of my invention as my own vehicle maintenance technician. There are jobs I still have to have tackled by the professionals, but I've learned to do a lot on my own. And what I don't know, I research online. Next, I use one of my lifelines, and phone a friend. If all else fails, to the shop it goes.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
If you are able to, put the front up on jackstands. Grab the noisy wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock. Attempt to rock the tire/wheel in and out - push top, pull bottom - forcefully. Any play there is usually the wheel hub/bearing assembly. Now grab the tire at 9 and 3 o'clock - again attempt to rock the wheel/tire in and out. Play there is either suspension or tie rod end.

·
Registered
Deville
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This noise is still going on...I checked out all the CV joints with my uncle (he is a mechanic of many years specializing in rolls Royce, bently, etc ) none of the seals are broken/leaking grease. The noise also comes and goes, I was over his house when he was checking it out and it would not make the noise. Then once I went back into town, the noise persisted once again...Any other idea's?

Edit: he didn't have a jack handy at the time, so he really only looked at the cv joints because he didn't even know what the sound was, just what i described.

·
Registered
Deville
288 Posts
sounds like a great uncle don't get him mad and next time take him to lunch in town with you. He just mite have solve your problem. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts