Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Caddy Deville (base model, no Bose and no OnStar). I just bought a kenwood head unit and got the kit from best kit for the dash sine the size is non standard. right now my problem is that the Keyless entry wont work everyonce in a while and my when i get in the car to start it the alarm goes off. I know it has something to do with the stereo. I was wondering how I could get it to not check the stereo in the alarm system or how to bypass this. I remember reading somewhere that I could somehow hook up the stereo in the trunk and run wires to the head unit. Any suggestions?

Lenny

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally, somebody with the same problem! I had a Pioneer head unit, Alpine amplifier, and two MTX 12'' subs installed in my 1998 Caddy and I am having the same problem. I even got a car alarm installed to help fix the problem, but it didn't work. The alarm works fine, but the doors don't unlock from the remote every once in a while. I've asked several people and it seems that some component for the anti-theft system is controlled through the factory radio.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Similar prob after a head unit swap in my base 98 deville.
(some pics posted btw)
Sometimes the remote doesnt work after parking the car for a while.
I think it has something to do with the cars battery save feature. My head unit sometimes comes back to life in standby mode if someone grabs the door handles( or somehow activates the switched 12V line to the interior electronics). When this happens the units remains in standby drawing current from the battery until the circuitry cuts power off to the whole car until the car is later restarted.
Have you noticed the Trip meter reset after an incidentwhere the remote stops working? (I think this indicates power being cut off to the car)
i think the 98 deville has this prob because the cars stereo wiring harness doesnt have a switched 12v lead and therfore most installers simply wire that to the always on 12v lead.
Any ideas how to fix this without having to instal a toggle switch between the always on 12v lead?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
powerglide