Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Deville that was giving me had starts, and now is making a high pitched whirring sound, and not cranking over. Is this the starter going out or do I have other issues?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,924 Posts
Most likely the starter, either the solenoid or a stuck Bendix pinion. Under the intake manifold. Several special procedures and torques involved. Use either a real GM/Cadillac service manual set from eBay or a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com - you'll need it.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"it" (🤣) did! My starter was bad. I do however need to track down the cause of the hard starts after sitting. I feel it's an electric drain. I'm sure I wore out the old starter, as it would take multiple turns to get it going. I know there's parts on here talking about tracking down the parasitic drain, I just have to find them.

At least this starter has a warranty if I blow it out before finding the root

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although it could be a drop in fuel pressure overnight. When delivering pizzas, I started hearing a cidada-like sound coming from under the center of the car, it's gone away since I don't drive so much, buy I already have a replacement pump, so I'll make that a project one of these weekends

·
1999 Deville base
95 Eldorado, 99 Deville, 05 CTS
223 Posts
My hard starting on my 95 Eldo was a leaking fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've done the test where you pull the line off the fpr and saw no leaky fuel, today I heard a light pop from the exhaust on one of the start up attempts

·
1999 Deville base
95 Eldorado, 99 Deville, 05 CTS
223 Posts
Turn key on for a few seconds to pump up fuel pressure, maybe a couple times, you should hear the pump, but not necessary, then leave key off and wait about 20 minutes, then press in on the Schrader valve, located on the front of your fuel rail, has a black cap on it. (Should) You should have pressure. A more precise way is to rent the gauge set from parts store and see if it's got 45 lbs pressure, and if it holds it, or it lets leaking down. A bad injector will leak down too. I had one one (or 2) on mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts