Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started hearing a clicking sound behind my glove box. I took the panel off in back of glove box to reveal the arm that opens and closes the actuator. Found the problem where it was clicking. I also discovered when a/c is on, hot air comes out the passenger side. Now the question is, is there more than 1 air blend actuator? Not sure what the one on top does, but after doing my investigating work, I see that there is maybe another actuator under the passenger bottom cover. Do I need to change out 2 actuators. The one clicking behind the glove box and another one behind the cover? This is for my 98 De Ville...

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,322 Posts
I'm not a guru on the 1998 - for instant gratification subscribe the car to a multi-year at www.alldatadiy.com - it's the online GM/Cadillac service manuals plus a lot more.

Maybe basscatt will see this.

Do you see any diagnostic trouble codes in the car's built-in scanner/memory?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As for codes P0113 Intake air temp sensor 1 circuit high.
Then the old P0741 which will be there until it's dead.

Something else I'm wondering if anyone has input, is if the hvac module is the same model # as the one behind the glove box.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,724 Posts
I started hearing a clicking sound behind my glove box. I took the panel off in back of glove box to reveal the arm that opens and closes the actuator. Found the problem where it was clicking. I also discovered when a/c is on, hot air comes out the passenger side. Now the question is, is there more than 1 air blend actuator? Not sure what the one on top does, but after doing my investigating work, I see that there is maybe another actuator under the passenger bottom cover. Do I need to change out 2 actuators. The one clicking behind the glove box and another one behind the cover? This is for my 98 De Ville...
=========================
your car has 2 MIX DOOR actuators - they control discharge air temperature -
one for the driver side and one for the passenger side - both are electric motors -

I believe the other one you found is the RECIRCULATE DOOR actuator -
it allows/prevents outside air into the cabin - it is also electric -

lastly - the MODE DOOR actuator controls WHERE the air blows from -
defroster - center vents - floor vents -
it is vacuum controlled in the 1998 Deville

·
Registered
57 Posts

I have a 97 DeVille with that problem on the drivers side. The lower door actuator, on the very bottom and easy to access, controls the drivers side. I purchased the part on e-Bay, about 30 bucks. Took ten minutes to install. I’m not sure where the passenger side door actuator is but it’s probably behind the glovie . Try operating the ac and watch the doors move, if you can get at them, not too familiar with that area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
=========================
your car has 2 MIX DOOR actuators - they control discharge air temperature -
one for the driver side and one for the passenger side - both are electric motors -

I believe the other one you found is the RECIRCULATE DOOR actuator -
it allows/prevents outside air into the cabin - it is also electric -

lastly - the MODE DOOR actuator controls WHERE the air blows from -
defroster - center vents - floor vents -
it is vacuum controlled in the 1998 Deville
I know for sure I have to change out the actuator behind the glove box. With the clicking, it probably has one or two missing teeth on the gear. Looks like a project to get to, I just hope it takes care of the heat coming through the passenger side with a/c on and hopefully it takes care of the code.

·
Super Moderator
86,087 Posts
I think you have it nailed. The clicking is usually a missing gear tooth as you surmise. I'd leave the others alone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Replaced the actuator behind the glove box. Wasn't as tuff to change out as I thought it was going to be. Running the A/C is like night and day now. Love not hearing the click click click anymore as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
pops98