Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
98 Deville
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I don't know if I am posting this in the right place or not but here it goes. My Dad's 98 Deville started exhibiting the head gasket symptoms a few days ago. He is done with the car and has already replaced it. He will give me the car if I want to mess with it. I have spent the last few days pouring over the forum researching the do-it-yourself HG repair. It looks kind of scary if you don't have shop equipment (hoists, air tools, pallet jacks, etc). I have two questions. First, is the car worth repairing? It has 175,000 Mi on it and the body and interior are in good condition. Second, How difficult is it to pull the motor from the top? I would almost have to pull from the top so I could still move the car around with engine out (lack of space). Any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
97 ETC x2, 04 GXP, 04 STS x2, 97 ESC, 99 Deville, 05 SRX
2,608 Posts
Mileage is of no concern with these cars. The only thing I suggest with higher mileage Northstars is to check the exhaust valves and grind/replace if necessary. And of course the usual, check the lower timing chain tensioner, intermediate sprocket. Other than that these engines last forever (HG's being the exception of course, HG failure is quite common but repairable with elbow grease and a bit of skill/willingness to learn-as-you-go...

Is it worth repairing? Check the body and interior. Both still look good? Do you like the car? Only you can determine the answer unless you post photos-

Hopefully you fix the car, there are plenty of people here on the forums who have either been through the whole process and have posted photos and documented the procedure, or can offer advice along the way if you encounter problems.

Best of luck!

-Jake

EDIT: check the exhaust cams and lifters. Mileage isn't an issue here, proper lubrication is- if you catch the wear in time, if there is any, you can get away with replacing just the lifters, if there is a lot of wear, you're looking at new lifters and reground cams. Many cars require these parts replaced, many do not.....

·
Registered
98 Deville
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips Jake. I wish I was closer to your shop so I could have you do it. I will try to post pics of the car this weekend. Any pointers on how the motor comes out the top?

·
Registered
98 Deville
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the hood have to be removed if the engine comes out the top? There doesn't seem to be any info on here about pulling from the top.

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
what tools do you have? you need a engine hoist. good floor jack. jack stands. good tool set. someone asked if changing a front hub bearing was hard for a rookie. answer was maybe. pulling a motor and studding the block is much harder. car is probably only worth 1000 with bad motor. fixed it could be worth 3000? maybe more. would you keep it or sell it?

·
Registered
98 Deville
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have jacks and jack stands and access to an engine hoist. I have a plentiful selection of hand tools but no air tools so this would all be done the old school way. I have pulled engines before but nothing of this magnitude, just 4 cyl stuff. I have pics of the car but I am not sure how to post them on here. If I can't even post pics on a forum should I be pulling and tearing down a motor?:suspense:

·
Registered
2000 DHS
535 Posts
If you have a shop crane type hoist, you can pull out the bottom, the consensus is it is easier. I used a $125.00 motorcycle jack and some doubled up 2x4's to pull mine. see the pics:

this shows the motorcycle jack

this shows the crane lifting the car

·
Registered
98 Deville
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I finally figured out how to post pics.

I am 80% sure I am going to tackle this job I just haven't decided top or bottom yet. I think its in good shape for it's age and mileage.

·
Registered
98 Deville
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I finally started this project. Due to space limitations and weather I decided to pull the engine out the top. I am hung up on a brace that goes from the right side of the trans up to the head in between exhaust manifold runners. I cannot figure out how to get to that bolt on the head side. I only have that brace, bell housing bolts, motor mounts, and exhaust left to disconnect. Anybody willing to share the secret to getting to that brace bolt?

·
Registered
2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS
393 Posts
Can you see/access with a socket the other end of the brace that connects to the trans? Don't forget the engine block to trans brace also if you haven't disconnected that yet.

·
Registered
98 Deville
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got the trans end nut off but now I need to get the bolt off at the other end up by the exhaust manifold so I can slip the brace off of the stud on the trans end. I cant even see the bolt head. Once this brace is off all braces/brackets will be off.

·
Registered
my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS
188 Posts
I got the trans end nut off but now I need to get the bolt off at the other end up by the exhaust manifold so I can slip the brace off of the stud on the trans end. I cant even see the bolt head. Once this brace is off all braces/brackets will be off.
Have you tried tilting the motor? If you loosen the back cradle bolts a little...then the front ones a couple inches (while supporting the cradle with a floor jack), you can then lower the front of the cradle a couple inches, possibly exposing the bolt.

·
Registered
2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS
393 Posts
I remember this bolt now... can you put a 15mm or 17mm (forget the bolt size) socket on a swivel or universal on the ratchet and get to it that way? The coolant pipes that run behind the engine might be in the way, I can't recall for sure, do you have those removed?

·
Registered
98 Deville
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got a socket on the bolt last night with an extension and universal joint but it wouldn't budge. It puts the universal at an extreme angle and the socket slips off. The coolant tubes are still on the motor. I was going to leave them on. We will see what tonight brings :suspense:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts