Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my '98 Deville it was the nastiest looking POS ever as far as being really dirty. Got the car looking real good proving that a turd can indeed be polished. Now its time or the engine. It, along with everything surrounding it looks nasty. I want to spray some degreaser on it and pressure wash it at the local coin op car wash. Is it safe to do so?. What parts should I cover up and be careful about getting wet?. TIA!

·
Super Moderator
86,087 Posts
I never covered anything, but if you want to, cover the ICM & coil pack. If it runs a little rough when you start it, just get it good and hot to evaporate any moisture.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Some of the degreasers are made for newer engines. I can't remeber the name, but it was an orange can and boasted a "pleasant orange scent". Don't use generic degreasers. I unhooked the battery myself.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I clean my 99 deville engine few times a year, more often when I drive through salt conditions... Follow the instructions on this website, it's pretty good info there.

http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/inf-engine.html

You can use a citric based engine degreaser for the hard stuff, but Simple Green with water (50/50 concentration) works fine for my case. You don't need to use a pressure hose, I use just my garden hose and a brush.

The only thing you really need to cover up is the coil pack (upper left of your engine), the fuse box (above the washer fluid), and the front 4 spark plug wire boots. You really gotta seal up those front 4 wire boots because water easily gets down in the spark plug wells, misfires like crazy, and it's a pain in the butt to drain it out. If you do manage to get water in there, I used my needle nose pliers, shoved the Scott's Shop towel down in the well to get most of the water out. The remaining water, grabbed two Q-Tips by the ends (using 1 Q-Tip takes forever), and shoved it down the spark plug well. That's how I learned my lesson the hard way... all front 4 were flooded like hell, none in the rear 4.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I havent detailed a motor in awhile but I used to clean them while they were running. I did this because sometimes when cleaning with the motor off, it wouldn't start afterwards. By keeping it running the water dries quicker. Is it safe to do it this way with the Northstar?.

·
Super Moderator
86,087 Posts
In "days of old" when they would not start, a shot of water displacer (todays WD40) on the wires and distributor would always do the trick. I'd be a little leary of hitting a hot engine with cold water. That has always been a big no no.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ranger: Er, yeah... that would help if I had one. Been meaning to buy an air compressor for a long time.

Destroyer: Don't do that. Detail the car when the engine is cold. Why chance it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
Kimura-sensei