Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first question on the Cadillac Forums:

Just wanted to get some feedback on the temps that my new to me 98 Deville D'Elegance is running at -

Normal driving: 195 - 206 deg F (matches range in another thread I found)

Idling for extended time: 203 - 224 deg F

I've watched it while idling and the fans kick on at about 218-222 deg F every time, then she cools down to the 203 and they kick off, then repeat. It would appear to me that the fans are kicking in a little late, and maybe not staying on long enough, but hey, it's only my opinion.

Appreciate feedback to determine if this is perfectly normal and be happy - or not normal, fix it, then continue to be happy. No problems with the car, just trying to prevent one if need be.

Thanks

·
Registered
97 DeVille Concours
22 Posts
My 97 Deville tends to stay at the 219 mark, and usually doesnt budge much once it gets there, even in chicago winters.... I programmed the computer to give me the exact temp. I think I have heard on the forums that the northstars run a little hotter than most cars... According to my buddy who own a vette, so do they due to the all aluminum block.... dont hold me to that though!!! my car similar has been running great even though its been 95+ degrees here in chicago land area, and as stated earlier at a steady 219

·
Registered
97 Deville
93 Posts
My 97 deville tends to run at 190-201 while driving around in the city and i live in florida it's been pretty hot down here everyday 90-95 everyday like for that last 2 months. Now when my car is idle because i'm stuck in 5 o'clock traffic and it's 90+ degrees its usually around 210-222 then when i start driving again it drops back down to around 199-201 and then if i'm continue to drive steady it goes back to normal atleast for my car which is 192-196. But for the most part i would say that the temperatures are normal if your really concerned i would change the coolant if you have not done so and add the coolants tablets.

Good Luck!!!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,971 Posts
Your temps are within the correct range and the system seems to be operating normally . I am not used to seeing any fluctuation though. Has the coolant ever been changed? How about the thermostat? Purge line clear and flowing? Are the condenser fins clear of dead bugs?

·
Registered
Cadillac
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ranger,

The coolant has been changed as I just did it myself, but thermostat, I've not idea as I just bought the vehicle. The fact that at highway speeds it's pretty much a constant 196 deg would leave me to believe the thermostat is ok. When I flushed her the fluid was very clean looking that came out, a good indicator.

The fins are generally clear with a few bugs and I will clean it out as well as check the purge line.

Maybe the water pump has lost some efficiency?? and needs replaced???

You probably don't want to do this but next time you arrive home with unit at operating temp, leave it on and idle it and see if you get the temp up after five or so minutes to kick the fans on.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,064 Posts
:) Your engine behaves exactly as mine, coolant-wise. Gauge at 12:00 all day, highway or not. Heavy stop and go, creeps up to next mark, fans come on (if A/C off), temp drops to 12:00. Your temps are close to my readings observed with an IR thermometer. Thermostat begins to open at 188 and is fully open at 206.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,971 Posts
When I flushed her the fluid was very clean looking that came out, a good indicator.
Color is no indicator. This is an aluminum engine. Aluminum as opposed to cast iron will corrode but will not rust, thus the color will always look new. Do not use color as an indicator.

Maybe the water pump has lost some efficiency?? and needs replaced???
Water pumps do not loose efficiency unless the tensioner has become rusted in place and is not providing enough belt tension. Put a 1/4" drive breaker bar on the square hole on the back side and use that as a lever to move it and see if it is working properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts