Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
DeVille
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This noise doesn’t seem to be associated with the operation of the car. The car is in good operational condition. One mechanic said it was the heating/AC system. That something was malfunctioning, kinda stuck trying to open but not quite and keep trying. The noise is very much like a turn signal noise. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,059 Posts
This noise doesn’t seem to be associated with the operation of the car. The car is in good operational condition. One mechanic said it was the heating/AC system. That something was malfunctioning, kinda stuck trying to open but not quite and keep trying. The noise is very much like a turn signal noise. Anyone have any experience with something like this?
=======================
STEP #1 - ALWAYS - check for DTC's - Diagnostic Trouble Codes -
if you don't know how - go here -

post any codes you have -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

include whether they are C-Current or H-History -

for code definitions - go here -

==========================
I suspect the sound is coming from the climate control system -

your 98 Deville uses vacuum to control the MODE - where the air blows from -
and electric actuators to control TEMPERATURE -

change the cabin temp - see if the noise changes -

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,579 Posts
I agree with Bass. Most likely a stripped gear tooth on one of the actuators.

·
Registered
deville 98
22 Posts
The clicking is in the actuator behind the glove box. Takes about 30 minutes to swap. Did mine about 4 months ago in my 98. You probably don't know it, but your a/c will blow warm on the passenger side because of this. Part will cost approx. $20-$40 depending where you get it from. Just take apart your glove box and then pretty sure it's just 3 screws and a plug, but in a tight space, to change actuator, which takes time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
utube is your friend. Search for - replacing actuator behind glove box on cadillac...... there are a couple of videos.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,924 Posts
........... or Google "cadillac forums 1998 deville hvac door actuators" or something close.

·
Registered
DeVille
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
utube is your friend. Search for - replacing actuator behind glove box on cadillac...... there are a couple of videos.

Good luck.
Thanks I’ll search YouTube for your suggested video

·
Registered
DeVille
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The clicking is in the actuator behind the glove box. Takes about 30 minutes to swap. Did mine about 4 months ago in my 98. You probably don't know it, but your a/c will blow warm on the passenger side because of this. Part will cost approx. $20-$40 depending where you get it from. Just take apart your glove box and then pretty sure it's just 3 screws and a plug, but in a tight space, to change actuator, which takes time.
Thanks for your help. I can’t do the repair myself but I’ll take your suggestion to my mechanic, at least I’ll have a idea of cost.

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
713 Posts
FWIW my 92 Deville and 94 Park Ave used to click behind the glove box when the battery was very weak. The cars would usually still start but that was my warning to charge the battery. My cars sometimes sit for a couple weeks at a time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts