Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 deville apparently has a slow leak in the compressor from what the shop told me. they want to charge me 1000 to fix. So I'm wondering what exact model or part# I need for a new a/c compressor. Also any advice on an easier install. Should I rebuild or buy new/ diy or shop mechanic/ and a few instructions on how to replace. Any help is appreciated I think I possibly found a replacement for like 250.00. THanks much!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
97 Deville
93 Posts
Hey tracy you might want to recharge the system a bit and put a colored A/C dye in it to see if the leak might be in more than one location. I have a 97 Deville and they told me the same thing oh you have a leak in your A/C system you need to have it replace and they qouted me $1050 i didn't really trust them so i took it to another shop and they recharged it and my a/c worked fine for about a month but since i had them put some green dye in the system i found my leak. So i would try that before you go and spend $1000 and then drive 10 miles and you have the same problem because there have been a few people in here who have done it.

Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,088 Posts
If you have to replace it, I'd go with a new A/C Delco. From what I have read I would stay away from aftermarkets and rebuilds. It is a bit of a job if you are going to DIY. Much depends on your skill level. After it is done you'll need to have it vacuumed down and recharged.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
Tracy,
I agree with pnj2108 take it to another shop and get a second opinion. To bad you don't live in Houston or I could have directed you to a place to take it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they did run the dye through it and said it was the compressor. from what they said it was by the front wheel well where the compressor is. should i take it to a Cadillac place or do you think they will hose me. cause they want like 100 bucks just to look at it. it sux being in florida and not having ac!!

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
Texas and no A/C is not a picnic either...lol I would still take it to someone else for a second opinion plus it gives you time to search for prices. You don't have to take it to a dealer for this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts