Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 catera
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 cadillac catera that wont start after driving it for awhile.Started doing this after it got very hot outside.Would start fine the first thing in the morning when cold.I would stop for something on the way to work.Go inside and come back out and it wouldn't start.Cranks over fine and everything else seems ok.I get this warning signal or buzzing sometimes when I would pull out from a stop.Thought it was my seatbelt warning or something.Tried it with my seatbelt on or off.No difference.No light on the dash.After sitting all day on the hottest day this year so far.I went out after work to go home.It wouldnt start.A friend of mine suggested hitting on the gas tank.He turned the ignition over while I hit the tank.It started!:bouncy:No trouble again with it for a couple days.Then same thing.:helpless:Get someone to try to start it while I hit the tank.Starts right up.Been reading all the threads on here about changing the cps.Did that.Doesnt help.Any ideas?Could it be the fuel pump? :bonkers:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Due to CPS replaced and nothing changed - lets remove that posibility (I wouldn't instal new CPS before I "try it-on" - much easier - it takes just 5 min.)...I don't know if you bought your Catera recently or original owner- desh warning light bulbs can be burned and you dont see anything..So I would advise you read any error messages if any there....It might be MAF sensor dying, of starter or falty sending unit in your trunk (it is worst case scenario - there is no error msg. regarding fuel pump in you gas tank). Every each of this problems can be eleminated one-by-one starting with simpliest (try another key!!!). You didnt mention HOW it wont start!!!! it is very important for determination

·
Registered
34 Posts
...little addition - I would't recommend hit gas tank, it is not do any better for you, but you can make internal damage. Let your friend hit his tank instead.

·
Registered
98 catera
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying to this.I've had the car for just over a year now.So far since then.I've replaced the coil pack,plugs,plug wires.That was last december.This spring I replaced the rear end.Pinion bearings went out.Do you know how hard it is to find them buggers?Got a used rearend for $185.00 at a salvage yard.Warranty with it.That's doing fine now.This recent episode has happened to me twice before.Once last summer and earlier this spring.Both times it was very hot and humid out.:lildevil:Before this time I would let it sit for awhile then it would start up.It sat all day the last time.Crawled in it and still nothing.Had to get it home somehow.So I resorted to hitting the tank.Daughter turned the key and I hit it.Started right up.:cookoo:I've had the codes read.Both rear o2 sensors have the heat circutts out and I have a code showing something about a secondary air reading to low.Have anything to do with this?Been running it with those codes for most of the time I've had the car.No cps no fuelpump or anything showing.I go back to work today.Gonna have the garage next door read the codes again.I sell autoparts.We have a garage there too.It's just to darn expensive and to hard to find parts for this thing sometimes.Did you say I should try and get another key for this first?:suspect:

·
Registered
98 catera
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An update on my problem.It seems to have been the fuelpump.Starts quicker than before.Better stronger idle.Even more get up and go.Now to my next problem.Figuring out the last engine code.Dont remember it but it has to do with a secondary air system low pressure reading.I'll maybe check out the other threads on this.Or start a new one myself.Anybody interested in a 98 catera with 174,000 miles on it?Rather have a pickup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts