Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, upon cold starts the first few times the car has to upshift it seems like it doesn't want to. It holds gears too long. It finally does shift if I give it more gas. Once it makes a couple of shifts and the cars warms up its ok.

The other issue is that most of the time the 2-3 shift is firm. Firmer than it should be. Do you think its a shift solenoid or torque convertor maybe?

55k miles, probably original fluid still.

Comments, suggestions? Thanks
John

·
Registered
127 Posts
I assume that your transmission malfunction warning light isn't coming on. It usually will if there's even the slightest tranny problem. The one thing I suggest that you can do yourself is change the fluid and filter. It's fairly simple, altho of course they made it more of a nuisance to fill it with fluid then most cars, it really can be a pain to get the correct amount of fluid in it. Really, that's about as much as the average do-it-yourself mechanic can do as far as the transmission. It sure can't hurt, and if you're very lucky, it may just help. My tranny light comes on whenever I drive the car and it's hot outside, I guess it does something to the fluid's viscosity. It goes into limp home mode. The first time it did it, it freaked me out, I didn't know what was going on. It goes back to normal if you turn the car off and back on till the next time it happens. I've learned to just keep a code scanner in my car and whenever the light comes on, I can plug it in and just turn the light out while driving instead of having to stop and restart the car. You just have to love the Catera. Good luck with your problem.

·
Registered
92' Eldorado, 97 Catera
289 Posts
My tranny was doing something similar. When it was cold it would hold first gear a little above 3000rpms. Seemed excessive. It did do this a couple of times when I restarted while already warmed up.

I changed the plugs. I inspected them along for looking for a vaccum leak as the idle was slightly off. Not really thinking I was going to find a remedy for the tranny. I realized that the plugs where the three electrode type which I do not like in an engine like this. Changed them with normal, problem gone instantly. Backed it out of the garage, thew it in first and for the first time since I bought the car it did not hold first gear when cold. Has not done it since. I suspect the timing was retarding itself due to the plugs. I would also assume that this was delaying the shift for more favorable conditions. Maybe worth looking into. Of course I could just be talking out of my ass and had dumb luck (I doubt that).

I would also say Passionaterage gave you sound advice based on the information you gave.

·
Registered
1998 Catera
474 Posts
i think this has been talked about a couple times here. i belive it holds the shift in order to warm up the o2 sensors faster

·
Registered
92' Eldorado, 97 Catera
289 Posts
You could be right Todd2fst4u. All I know is that mine does not do it any more and I like that.

·
Registered
Cadillac
25 Posts
Hey All, My 1998 catera does the same thing - even after new trasmission... I live in Wisconsin, and even in summer the upshifting from 1st to 2nd - it will hold hi RPMs and then it will kick into 2nd. I suggest to allow the car/engine to warm up - 1 minutes of so, and/or use the Sportshift to slightly turn up the rpms so it shifts more soothly.

Enz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts