Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys had my 98 catera for about 6 months now, only put about $400 in engine parts and about $1600 in stereo. Now its time to work on my suspension. This car has the worst suspension ever! Every bump i go ove ri bounce for about 5 sec. Even on the high way with out any bumbs it will bounce a lot. Going up driveways doesent make the car bottom out but it does make this loud thud. The leveling light will flash when ever there is at least one passenger with me. What will be the cheapest thing to do? New strusts? shocks? springs? Im not even sure how the suspension works with the air ride and such. Also the car does ride kinda low to the ground. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2001 catera
152 Posts
Sounds like you do need shocks and struts. Leveling usually takes 2 additional people, which would indicate you may be low due to spring sag but this is really not a big problem. You don't say how many miles on the car. See catera parts thread.

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It has 128K miles, just had new heads put on when i bought it. Also i forgot to mention, at first the leveling light would take two additonal people, then about two weeks ago it started doing it with only one passanger. Also thats when i started to hear what sounds like a tire leaking from under the rear driver side of the car. At first i though it was that tire, but it stops once the engine is shut off, and the tire is not loosinf air. So you say struts and shocks, will i need a conversion kit or can i bybass the air myself?

·
Registered
97 Catera
31 Posts
Umm that sound you hear that you say is a tire leaking air..is your Auto Leveling system Leaking.... it has a air pump that loads the shocks.. thats how it works.. your shocks are Blown or you have an air line to your shocks leaking.

Take it in for service....Next: Factory or Aftermarket..depends..lols you cant really say you KNOW how this car rides when youve been driving with a crapped out suspension from the get go.. if it was me id get the hoses/bad shock replaced first and see where you stand. then decide if you wanna shell out the $1500+ for a complete suspension upgrade.. but thats me

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea first im going to see if i can fix the air leak. If not i can get the entire suspension conversion kit for front and rear for $600.

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
Yea first im going to see if i can fix the air leak. If not i can get the entire suspension conversion kit for front and rear for $600.
What brands and where? Are you looking for a sport type suspension or a softer touring type ride? Does the conversion kit include lowering springs? Come on buddy, don't leave us hanging.

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im just looking for anything less bouncy. As for the kit, my unlce works at an auto parts store, he is able to get any parts at 10% above what the store pays, he told me the entire kit for 600. Ill try to find the details.

·
Registered
2 1997 Cateras: black&ocean green
698 Posts
I have a very bad sound in the back. Everytime I go over some bump or so there is a painful hitting sound. When I push the back end down, it's OK, but if I lift it by the fenders high enough, I can hear something loose hitting. So far I have not been able to determine what causes the roughness and hitting.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
In the trunk you'll find 2 cone shaped caps. Pry them off and check the nuts for looseness. Those are the shock absorber top mounting nuts. Check the lower mounting bolts too. Not likely but they could be rattling when you suspension unloads.

More likely are the spring seats. These are pads that fit at the bottom between the spring and the control arm and at the top between the spring and frame. They can wear and break apart allowing metal to metal contact.

Elvin

·
Registered
2 1997 Cateras: black&ocean green
698 Posts
Thanks. I'll have to check all of the above. I do have a new ste of shock mounting hardware, so might as well replace the old bushings.
;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts