Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm having a new issue with my catera. The oil pressure shows about 60PSI in the morning (cold engine), then when it gets hot the pressure drops to about half way or less while driving. When I come to a stop or traffic light it drops down right to the first white line (I think it is 10PSI) if I'm reading it right. I have also seen the oil gauge light (red) come on and turn off right away during a normal idle, this happened at two occasions. Could it be the oil pressure switch, the one below the pulleys by the oil pan area? I have 10W-30 oil right now with 92000K miles. In additon, the weather in Oklahoma is about 96F-97F for the past week or so.

I have attached pictures, so you can see what I talking about. I was also able to snap the picture whenthe light came one. Pictures are from my phone so may or may not be that clear.

http://s513.photobucket.com/albums/t334/rtt78/Oil gauge/?action=view&current=Photo0049.jpg

http://s513.photobucket.com/albums/t334/rtt78/Oil gauge/?action=view&current=Photo0050.jpg&

http://s513.photobucket.com/albums/t334/rtt78/Oil gauge/?action=view&current=Photo0052.jpg&

http://s513.photobucket.com/albums/t334/rtt78/Oil gauge/?action=view&current=Photo0053.jpg&

Thanks.

·
Registered
'97 Catera (Ocean)
463 Posts
Unfortunately I have to say join the club...About 5 other members have or have had the same issue, not including myself. Though a member has replaced the switch with a positive experience. Others have trumped the issue by adding 2qtz of Rotella 15W-40. Any GM Tech will tell you its a failing oil pump (expensive). No 100% resolution to this yet.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does the 15W40 oil do, will it help to have a steady pressure? Can I get any 15W40 and add it or does it have to be the rotella brand?lf I change the oil to full synthetic will it help it in anyways?

·
Registered
Catera 2001
343 Posts
where does this oil switch go? I saw this at rockauto.com
What year is your Catera?

The switches are different for different years and I have seen at least three different types in the posts and the one that I changed in my Catera 2001 Base model. My level and level indication responsiveness remarkably changed for the better when I changed my 2 Pin switch with Guage/Light for my Catera. No more lights or pressure going to red zone.

Cheers.

PS: Seeing your picture if the needle never went below 20 PSI, the light should not come on. The light should set at a range as in the following post,

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/196246-oil-pressure-oh-nooo-3.html

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is a 1998. I know there is one oil pressure sender in the front of the engine but was not sure where other one (oil switch) goes. If you see in one of the pictures I posted, there is a red light at 20PSI or 10PSI, not sure how you read it on the gauge. This happened twice on a hot day like today 97F. The light just came on and went off, so not sure why it does that.

·
Registered
Catera 2001
343 Posts
Mine is a 1998. I know there is one oil pressure sender in the front of the engine but was not sure where other one (oil switch) goes. If you see in one of the pictures I posted, there is a red light at 20PSI or 10PSI, not sure how you read it on the gauge. This happened twice on a hot day like today 97F. The light just came on and went off, so not sure why it does that.
retho78 my friend I got to thank you first. I got my switch from Dennis. What a wonderful person and helpful with eBay handle of "dpart1122". I thank you first for suggesting this seller.

I ran through this thing last summer and my experience was that momentarily the pressure indication will hit near the top of the red zone and near 10 PSI in your scale. When you rev up to drive away or otherwise the light will go away. I believe 3 consecutive instances set the light on till you turn off your car. Then the light is not there when you restart.

If your pressure is shown steady above 20 PSI which is the last white line just below the needle in your pictures, there is no reason for pressure light to be set and a potential bad switch/sensor in my mind.

If you go to Compnine site you should be able to see the locations. The type you have shown in your post I believe is shown to be on the block just behind the alternator but I did not have one on my Catera 2001. I don't believe there would be two deployed but best is to check right of the crankshaft at the front or right behind the alternator.

Cheers.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're welcome! He is a really good guy, I have bought several parts for him and he is willing to help and get the parts at a reasonable price. How much did you pay for the oil pressure sender? I'm thinking to either clean up the one on my car and see if it will make any difference. If not, then contact Dennis and get a new one and try it out.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll check and see if there is one in the back of the alternator. I know fo rsure there is one in the front and it is bigger size sensor. When you replaced yours in the front did you have to drain the oil first?

·
Registered
Catera 2001
343 Posts
USEDCAT- Did you change the switch with gauge or with light?
Matera97 I changed mine with the following,

- 90566938 SENSOR,ENG OIL PRESS GA(2 PIN CONNECTOR)

It was identical to what I had on the front just right and below the crankshaft pulley area.

retho78 as far as draining the oil, I did not. My car was stationary for a while and I was working on the serpentine belt. So I took off the bottom plastic cover below the pulleys and it is secured by basic screws in more or less 4 corners. The front OPS was very accessible. When I unscrewed it with a wrench, there was a trickle of oil out of the hole. I let it drip for a while, and it fell on top of the Oil Pan area. I then wiped it out of there. Cleaned the area around where the new OPS will go and just tightened it and reconnected the electrical connector.

Looking at the connector you can basically tell which of the three types is needed.

My understanding is per attached pictures for at least two types.

Cheers.

PS: It has also been noted by someone in the other thread that for the 98 type OPS, the terminal wire was corroded that a terminal gets screwed onto a post. A cleaning and re-connection fixed their OPS. In case it helps and definitely for retho78's consideration.

Attachments

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
USEDCAT- the first picture of the oil pressure sender (silver color) looks like the one I may need. First, let me check on the connectors and do a little cleaning and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
I have 10W-30 oil right now with 92000K miles. In additon, the weather in Oklahoma is about 96F-97F for the past week or so.
Before messing with the pressure sensor try a heavier weight oil. 10w30 might be too thin. Bump up to a 20w50 that won't thin out at hot temps.

·
Registered
Catera 2001
343 Posts
Here is a better picture of the second oil pressure switch. See attachment.
retho78 are you already into the oil pump area in your engine given the picture?

If you have this OPS in your car I would replace it as it only costs under 10$. I believe this may be the one that sets the light as I don't see in any of your pictures the needle in the area where light should be set.

These switches are a piece of cake to replace except one may be a little costly.

Your choice also for what elvin is suggesting.

Cheers.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have seen the oil pressure sender in my car which is right below the pulleys. but the oil pressure switch have not seen it yet. I know it is by the oil pump, will look at it today and see if I can find it. The oil pressure switch is less than $10 and the oil pressure sender is like $45-$60.

·
Registered
'97 Catera (Ocean)
463 Posts
Retho, part 19 in the diagram is a level sensor, I would think this is for the amount of oil. Which would trigger the other oil warning light. The parts I think that would be culprit would be Part 060: SENSOR,ENG OIL PRESS GA(1 PIN,1 BLADE CONN)(6.670)(LOCATED UNDER OIL PUMP) Part # 903367695 or Part 059: SWITCH,ENG OIL PRESS IND(ACDelco #D1831A) Part # 55354378.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts