Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Just bought this car from someone who just gave upon it. 98 Catera, 48,500 miles for 700.00. Car cranks but will not start. The girl was driving it and it just stopped and never started again. Changed the CPS, replaced battery, replaced the factory plugs, checked for spark and it is present, can here the fuel pump engage could see fuel pumping out the cylinder during spark test, replaced factory fuel filter. I understand there is a certain procedure to reset the system, not sure about it, something about disconnect the battery and turn on key?? If someone has some ideas please help.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I GOT A CODE !!! Finally something to work with. The code is P0230, does anyone happen to know what this code is for? Thank You

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replaced the Fuel pump relay and still have a no start condition, have replaced the CPS, Plugs, Fuel Filter, and battery, have cleaned the MAF and all battery cable conections. Have spark and can here the fuel pump humming. Could this be the ECM? have located one at a salvage yard is it okay to use a used one or should I get new or rebuilt. HELP, I am quickly running out of ideas.

·
Registered
Catera, ..
231 Posts
:confused: Just bought this car from someone who just gave upon it. 98 Catera, 48,500 miles for 700.00. Car cranks but will not start. The girl was driving it and it just stopped and never started again. Changed the CPS, replaced battery, replaced the factory plugs, checked for spark and it is present, can here the fuel pump engage could see fuel pumping out the cylinder during spark test, replaced factory fuel filter. I understand there is a certain procedure to reset the system, not sure about it, something about disconnect the battery and turn on key?? If someone has some ideas please help.
are you sure the timing belt is not broken???

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No,I am not sure, need to run a compression check to be sure I suppose. Although, after checking with the dealership the recall was done in May of 2003. So, unless something has really gone haywire I would say the timing belt is not the issue. The fuel pump is engaging when I hook it up to 12V charge, when just the new relay is in I cannot here the hum even with my ear on the gas tank. Have changed out 3 different relays same response, Fuse is good. When changed the fuel filter there was no pressure in the lines, the fuel just dribbled out. MAF has been cleaned and tried as well with it disconnected. Could the CPS have been bad? How do you check to insure it is working?

·
Registered
Catera, ..
231 Posts
No,I am not sure, need to run a compression check to be sure I suppose. Although, after checking with the dealership the recall was done in May of 2003. So, unless something has really gone haywire I would say the timing belt is not the issue. The fuel pump is engaging when I hook it up to 12V charge, when just the new relay is in I cannot here the hum even with my ear on the gas tank. Have changed out 3 different relays same response, Fuse is good. When changed the fuel filter there was no pressure in the lines, the fuel just dribbled out. MAF has been cleaned and tried as well with it disconnected. Could the CPS have been bad? How do you check to insure it is working?
it could be the CPS or the CPS circuit to the ECM, the fuel pump is activated when the CPS sends a signal to the ecm during crank/run rotation, this activtes the relay and then the pump. The best first step is to see if you have any codes, if you disconnected the bat. you lost anything that was stored.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After eliminating all other possible problems I have finally found the problem, the timing belt is broken just before the bottom timing gear on the drivers side. The dealership said the recall had been done in May of 2003 but does not know how many miles were on it at the time. Have no sticker on the car that it was done. Now the car only has 48,500 miles on it now, and 12,000 of that was put on in the last year. So, possibly someone is pulling my chain. But it seems the tensioners are fine and the belt snapped.Have only done a few timing repairs and those were in the late 70's and early 80's before cars got so darn technical. the car was apparently rolling at about 30 miles an hour around a corner so the girl was not driving it hard at all. hopefully that is the only problem. Is there any posts that are as good as the CPS replace on here for the timing belt?:crying::crying::crying:

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
;);) Towed the car to the dealershipto get a diagnosis. Already knew the timing belt was broken but asked them to diagnose it. They tried to sell me everything from the fuel pump to a new ECM. Finally I asked if anyone checked to see if the timing belt was broken, the Tech said no way the belt was broken, it had compression and turned over great it had to be the ECM. Finally I broke down and told them I knew it was the timing belt and for them to check any way since cadillac was so advanced they possibly had a new timing belt that was not connected at both ends. After seeing that it was the timing belt suddenly the attitude changed to engine is ruined, it needs to be replaced, the price then jumped to $6,700. They never inquired about how the car was being driven, never checked the valves etc. just automatically went from ECM to new motor. Anyhow, I got tired of playing with them and told them to replace the timing belt anyway. They told me the car would never start and run. Well, after paying $375 for the timing belt replaced the car started and runs. No knocking in the engine, good oil pressure, strong throttle response etc. Now the bad news water pump is leaking now and have a miss, codes read P0300, P0301and P0305. Any idea on the codes, and the miss? Also does the timing belt need to come off again to change the pump?:cookoo::cookoo:

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:highfive::highfive::highfive:Okay,finaldiagnosis and solution for this problem ended up being the water pump. I had the timing belt and tensioners changed at the dealer after the timing belt broke while driving. The car started up ran beautifully with no resulting valve damage. Lesson: should have read the forum closer and changed the water pump at the same time. The day after getting the car from the dealer the water pump started leaking and got the timing belt soaked and it jumped time causing a miss on cylinders 1 and 5. Had the water pump changed at a different shop, the car was re-timed and now runs beautifully once again. total cost= Car $700.00, Timing belt & Tensioners $375.00, New water pump and re-time $350.00 for a total of $1,450.00 for a 1998 Cadillac Catera with 48,500 original miles. A good investment if I say so myself.:histeric::histeric::histeric:

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
mine wouldnt start either after running all day at a light just died. Got it home and still no start. Took a piece of wood and hit the gas tank and vrrrooooommmm. Guess I need to change the fuel pump!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts