Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We recently replaced our ECM with a newly programmed one from Flagship. Our previous one was fried when it accidentally got to close to the battery (battery arced and fried it) . We programmed the key. When we turn it on, it catches for a split second, then doesn't fully start. We thought it's not getting the fuel it needs. We checked the fuses and the fuel pump has no power. We replaced relay 20 and that doesn't help. Any ideas? Crank sensor possibly? Wiring? Grounding issue? ECM not programmed correctly from company? Is the security maybe an issue?
History...we originally took it to a Cadi dealer who couldn't figure out the problem. They said the original ECM was fried and they couldn't reprogram it. We provided them with a used one but they couldn't get it to work. They said they couldn't locate a new ECM anymore through any supplier. Then we went and bought a new ECM that was programmed to our Vin from Flagship in NY. We plugged it in, programmed the key and still no go. That's when we discovered the fuel pump fuse has no power. Suggestions?

·
Registered
Catera 2000 & Catera 2001
332 Posts
If it starts and dies right away, means the key is not programmed correctly or at all. If pump worked fine before your issue happened, I would look into ECM first.
Crank sensor would affect spark, but not fuel pump. I'm not sure what newer version of ECM they mean, but I hardly believe we had any updates available for Cateras or updated module versions. Hope it helps.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
You might try to get used ECM with the immobilizer magnet which is in the key housing. That way you won't need to program it at all, maybe body control module to match to the new ECM, but not positive on that, I believe it should work as is. If your dealer can't figure out such simple task, run away from them until they damaged it even further. Any tech2 scan tool, supposedly any gm dealer has, does all that with a bit of brain used. Try another dealer, or another module with the key, just swap magnet with yours which in the key housing and matched module. Or they should make new key with code handy, and reprogram it to your existing module. I might think, it's hard to program old key with out knowing the code it transmits, but new key should come with the code... Dealers should know all that, but who knows....

·
Registered
332 Posts
Another thing you might do is pinpoint the fuel pump circuit, it's controlled by ECM, so if circuit got damaged by battery, it should be repaired first. And by the way, pump is energized only when cranking occurs, it doesn't engage it with ignition ON. So Volt test should be done when cranking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue. When I plug in my code reader.., It says unable to link? Also have no power to the fuel pump. I dropped the tank and ran power to the pump from my 12v. flashlight battery and it pumped okay. Keep me posted if you find out a way to correct the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts