Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Fleetwood Limited
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for info on how the writing tables attach to the back of the front seats. I was able to get a couple of the tables but they came with no instructions.

Also, one of the tables came with lights. Anyone able to shed some light (pun intended) on how Superior got power to them? No wiring was included besides the short pieces to the lights.

KC

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wish I knew! I have a 99 Fleetwood Limited and have actually been looking for writing tables to purchase and put in the car. I heard that they are bolted in the seats but I don't know for sure... I found a 96 Fleetwood with a Fleetwood Limited writing table and the owner said that he bolted it in, not sure how he did it though! Also, I know this is a long shot but you wouldn't happen to be willing to sell a table would you?

·
Registered
'99 Fleetwood Limited
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I knew! I have a 99 Fleetwood Limited and have actually been looking for writing tables to purchase and put in the car. I heard that they are bolted in the seats but I don't know for sure... I found a 96 Fleetwood with a Fleetwood Limited writing table and the owner said that he bolted it in, not sure how he did it though! Also, I know this is a long shot but you wouldn't happen to be willing to sell a table would you?
I still have them in their boxes. Back about the time I posted, I was able to get the designers name and number at Accubuilt. Left him a couple messages asking for help with how to do the install but never got a return call. :( I figured out a way I could do it but never did because I thought the seatbacks were too flimsy to handle the weight and figured Accubuilt had added something to support the additional weight.

The tables were $500 each from Accubuilt. Surprised me at the time that the one with the light did not cost more.

My plan has been that whomever buys my Fleetwood Limited gets/takes all my spare parts.

P7012502.JPG P7012506.JPG P7012504.JPG P7012505.JPG

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh wow that's incredible! My dad and I have been fortunate enough to actually do a tour at Accubuilt. We live only an hour or so away so it wasn't a long trip. We decided to email Joe Bunn who has worked there for over 50 years and knows all about Fleetwood Limiteds. We never spoke to him before but he was extremely kind to us and allowed us to come and learn about the company. It was a very interesting trip and neat to see how they build their cars, I highly recommend it! And I would recommend emailing Joe, I'm sure he would answer anything you want to know. His email is [email protected]

And that is surprising! And it doesn't look like someone added the light to it themselves, very interesting!

Hmm, are you looking to sell your Fleetwood Limited? If you're looking for a buyer I'd be happy to try to find you one. There are several members of our NorthWest Ohio Cadillac club that have expressed interest in my car and I'm sure they would be interested in yours as well. Also, would you be willing to part with only one or both of the tables? If you want to make a deal where I get you a buyer for a table or I'd be willing to pay $750 or negotiate. But if you're not interested I completely understand! I really don't want to sound pushy towards you in any way and I won't be offended if you say no :) I'm really just interested in talking about Fleetwood Limiteds so I don't mind just doing that if you'd like! Also, I think you'd might enjoy seeing this youtube video that I made about Accubuilt and my Fleetwood Limited, this is its link:

·
Registered
'99 Fleetwood Limited
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made the trip to Accubuilt once. Stopped by hoping to talk Fleetwood Limited with somebody but did not get anywhere. Had no clue they did tours.

At one time, I had three of them. Sold my '98 when everything seemed to be going wrong with it (heater core went the day I sold it). Parted the other one. It was awesome red '99 on commercial chasis. Unfortunately, I was not up to speed on the Northstar head gasket problem when I bought it. The dealer's mechanic explained how he had fixed the blown gasket without removing the engine. I should have walked away from that deal right then. When it blew again, a shade tree mechanic recommended by a friend said he could fix it cheaply. By the time I towed it back home years later, it was rusted out, the paint was shot, and the catalytic converter had been stolen.

The '99 I have left has not moved since 2018. I got it detailed and then took it for pictures since I was changing insurance and State Farm wanted to take pics since I was insuring it as a classic car. Has not budged since that day. The dust proves it. :) Bought the car because I have a very tall family but my son moved out in 2018. Definitely ready to sell but whomever buys needs to bring a truck or a trailer since when I cut ties to a vehicle, the whole collection goes with it. When I cut ties with my '75-'78 LTDs, the buyer's first trip was to empty my locker of parts. I don't have as much for the Fleetwood Limited but the extra tranny is heavy and the back bumper trim off my other '99 takes up a lot of space. I'm in southeastern Delaware County.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I made the trip to Accubuilt once. Stopped by hoping to talk Fleetwood Limited with somebody but did not get anywhere. Had no clue they did tours.

At one time, I had three of them. Sold my '98 when everything seemed to be going wrong with it (heater core went the day I sold it). Parted the other one. It was awesome red '99 on commercial chasis. Unfortunately, I was not up to speed on the Northstar head gasket problem when I bought it. The dealer's mechanic explained how he had fixed the blown gasket without removing the engine. I should have walked away from that deal right then. When it blew again, a shade tree mechanic recommended by a friend said he could fix it cheaply. By the time I towed it back home years later, it was rusted out, the paint was shot, and the catalytic converter had been stolen.

The '99 I have left has not moved since 2018. I got it detailed and then took it for pictures since I was changing insurance and State Farm wanted to take pics since I was insuring it as a classic car. Has not budged since that day. The dust proves it. :) Bought the car because I have a very tall family but my son moved out in 2018. Definitely ready to sell but whomever buys needs to bring a truck or a trailer since when I cut ties to a vehicle, the whole collection goes with it. When I cut ties with my '75-'78 LTDs, the buyer's first trip was to empty my locker of parts. I don't have as much for the Fleetwood Limited but the extra tranny is heavy and the back bumper trim off my other '99 takes up a lot of space. I'm in southeastern Delaware County.
Yes sir! The tours may not be official but seem to give them anyone interested (This could have changed due to the pandemic though :(). That's amazing that you've had THREE of them! Did you have all the cars somewhat recently? And that is unfortunate that there were so many problems with the '99. I was worried about having similar issues but mine seems to have been babied its whole life which I think has kept it from having any major issues. It just rolled over 136,000 miles the other day during our trip to Milan, Ohio. The previous owner was an older man who my dad knew well. He would drive it back and forth from Ohio to Florida and it was his absolutely favorite car.

Ooh I'd love to see pictures of the '99 that you still have if you have them handy! What color is that one? I've only ever seen my black Fleetwood Limited and I'd like to see some other colors of them someday haha. Very good I totally understand that you'd like to sell it all together, I'm guessing it can be quite the hassle to ship individual parts out to lots of people?. I can ask around and see who I can find if you'd like. How many miles do you have on the car and do you have a particular price in mind? And is that Delaware County in Ohio? If so that's not too far away at all!

·
Registered
'99 Fleetwood Limited
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Don't remember which year I sold the '98. About my red '99, this thread shows I was tearing it apart in late 2015:

This thread is about the '99 I still have. Picture is in the first post:

I don't have any current pics. I have to work on that. The ones taken in 2018 were taken by State Farm for State Farm.

I know it turned over 100k but I think it is under 105k. I don't have a battery in it right now to check. I'm still thinking about price. Car is located a little north of Westerville, OH.

Did find this picture that shows the '98 in front of the '99.
DCP_4307.JPG

Dug around my picture collection. Only pictures I could find of my red '99 was when I was tearing it apart. This is when it was waiting to be towed.
DSCN7462a.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't remember which year I sold the '98. About my red '99, this thread shows I was tearing it apart in late 2015:

I don't have any current pics. I have to work on that. The ones taken in 2018 were taken by State Farm for State Farm.

I know it turned over 100k but I think it is under 105k. I don't have a battery in it right now to check. I'm still thinking about price. Car is located a little north of Westerville, OH.

View attachment 584154

Dug around my picture collection. Only pictures I could find of my red '99 was when I was tearing it apart. This is when it was waiting to be towed.
View attachment 584159
Very nice! That silver looks a lot better that I would have expected it to, looks like it's in great shape too! And the red Fleetwood Limited looks like it was quite the project, probably more than I can handle to do myself lol. And 105K miles isn't bad at all, that's just about what my Fleetwood Limited had when we got it. Is the car still missing its bumpers? I'm assuming you still have all the parts. If you come up with a price at some point feel free to let me know and I can see if I can find any interested parties, fortunately I'm close enough that it would be an easy day trip for me or someone else to come down from Bowling Green!

·
Registered
14 Posts

View attachment 584154

View attachment 584159
Also, if I was to either have you send me some more photos of the car or if I was to drive down to get some and then see if I could find a buyer would you be interested in selling the tables or a table? If I was to come down then you wouldn't have to worry of the hassle of shipping them. We also have a decent amount of large collectors in our club that I'm sure would like to add the Fleetwood to their collection :) I just recently sold a '99 Eldorado and a '75 Eldorado, I could probably help with selling the Fleetwood Limited!

·
Registered
'99 Fleetwood Limited
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since I cannot post pics on YouTube: Here is a picture I took of the FL for sale in Chicago. You can see there are no buttons for the driver memory. You can also see the seat heater switch but no lumbar switch. One thing unique about the car was badging. You can see in the second pic that somebody had added gold script Fleetwood to the quarter panels. On the front doors where it says "FLEETWOOD LIMITED," the "LIMITED" had been taken off and the "FLEETWOOD" moved towards the front of the door. You can see it in the third pic.
DCP_3041a.jpg DCP_3050.JPG DCP_3046.JPG

My kids preferred my black and red FLs because they had drop down vanity mirrors for the second row while my silver car did not. My kids liked adjusting the mirrors so they could see what was happening behind the car. I got to hear many complaints about the lack of ceiling mirrors in the silver car. They were somewhat appeased when I bought a '98 6-door limo that had ceiling mirrors in the third row. That was my winter beater so the silver FL could hide during the winter. Anyway, 2nd row vanity mirrors were another option the FLs had.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since I cannot post pics on YouTube: Here is a picture I took of the FL for sale in Chicago. You can see there are no buttons for the driver memory. You can also see the seat heater switch but no lumbar switch. One thing unique about the car was badging. You can see in the second pic that somebody had added gold script Fleetwood to the quarter panels. On the front doors where it says "FLEETWOOD LIMITED," the "LIMITED" had been taken off and the "FLEETWOOD" moved towards the front of the door. You can see it in the third pic.
View attachment 584235 View attachment 584236 View attachment 584241

My kids preferred my black and red FLs because they had drop down vanity mirrors for the second row while my silver car did not. My kids liked adjusting the mirrors so they could see what was happening behind the car. I got to hear many complaints about the lack of ceiling mirrors in the silver car. They were somewhat appeased when I bought a '98 6-door limo that had ceiling mirrors in the third row. That was my winter beater so the silver FL could hide during the winter. Anyway, 2nd row vanity mirrors were another option the FLs had.
Ah you're right! It doesn't have the memory seats or heated seats. Very strange! I'm assuming the badging isn't original, but I'm not sure why someone would want to take the Fleetwood Limited name off... Maybe they wanted to make it look like it had the gold package? But it's. still a nice looking car!

Also, I think you would be interested to see what we have going on with the car right now. The vinyl top had lifted up during our last trip with it on Tuesday and was getting worse and worse. Water was getting in underneath the top which wore away a lot of the old glue. It had to dry out and re-glued. Luckily it should be fixed and back to normal today. I'm hoping to get it back with a sealed up top!

·
Registered
'99 Fleetwood Limited
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking about the lighted vanity mirrors in the back row. I'm guessing those were not an "option." I had them in my three Caddys that had the commercial chasis but not my '99 with the standard chasis. Sounds like Cadillac automatically added those to '98 and '99 commercial chasis DeVilles. Just checked my Fleetwood Limited sales literature and those mirrors are not mentioned as an option.

I've never been a fan of vinyl tops because they don't last but I understand why the FLs have them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was thinking about the lighted vanity mirrors in the back row. I'm guessing those were not an "option." I had them in my three Caddys that had the commercial chasis but not my '99 with the standard chasis. Sounds like Cadillac automatically added those to '98 and '99 commercial chasis DeVilles. Just checked my Fleetwood Limited sales literature and those mirrors are not mentioned as an option.

I've never been a fan of vinyl tops because they don't last but I understand why the FLs have them.
Ah okay! I think I remember seeing some Deville concourse models with the vanity mirrors in the back as well. Not totally sure what all cars got them though. I do enjoy having them though in the car!

I do really like how the vinyl top looks, especially on the Fleetwood Limited (I think it looks better than the cloth top) but they can be a nightmare lol. And I’ve heard that the sunroofs can become a problem as well, they sometimes start to leak.

Also, have you come up with a price for your Fleetwood Limited? No rush, just curious if you thought about it and what your thoughts were of me coming down to get photos and possibly make a deal on the writing tables

·
Registered
14 Posts
Finally got the top looking better! It’s definitely not perfect but it looks better than before lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts