Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from all the obvious physical differences between the two, what seperated the Seville and 300M? Both were targeted towards the same buyers, and if you don't look at all the details, the cars are pretty similar in design....FWD, high power engines, bucket seats and center console, loads of luxury features, tight handling, etc etc.

The 300M was called "america's modern day muscle car".... something that I personally can't totally agree with, but it's certainly quite muscular considering what came before it from Chrysler, and it does have that 300 lineage behind it.

The Seville is Cadillac's main sports sedan, atleast before the CTS came out, but I always thought it was a bit smoother and more formal than the 300M. Does the STS handle better than the 300M? Is the steering any more communicative? The STS would be faster, but then again, it's got an additional 50 hp and 40 lb/ft on it, but the 300M puts out very good specs considering it's only a V-6!

I've heard many good things about both of these, and am considering either to pick up next. I like the Continental too, but those never seemed as sporty as either the Cadillac or Chrysler, and the Aurora is basically a 9/10ths Seville...why not just go for the Cadillac?!

Thanks in advance,
Chad.

·
Registered
98 Seville SLS, 92 Eldorado ETC, 87 Chrysler Fifth Avenue
381 Posts
Before I bought My Cobalt (which I traded for my sls) I tried to buy a 2002 300m Special Edition. It was black... With tinted windows, and it had the spoiler. The inside was pure white leather. A light coloured dash and it had ... everything except navigation. The Special Edition has 18 inch rims, sport tuned suspension, steering and braking. I loved that car a lot. It has the HID projectors and.. was just a stunning car.. The dealer was a jerk and sold it to someone several thousand under my offer.. :/ Oh well.. I like my SLS... Granted its a gas hog..

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
985 Posts
I had a 1995 Eagle Vision TSi (The 300m's predecessor) bafore I got my 2000 STS. I can't speak to the power of the 300 (only took one on a brief test drive once), but the magazine tests, on average, show the 300m to be about 1 second slower to 60 and the 1/4 than an STS.

Handling? I found the STS to have the better ride and a much quieter interior, but the Vision (fitted with 245/50/16 tires) was the more nimble handler, even when at the same mileage as the STS. The Vision was 400lbs lighter, and that much weight does matter. Once I fit a stickier tire to my STS, I'll report back in, but the weight difference is something that you definitely feel when you're trying to stop and change direction.

On a side note: why is the new CTS such a FAT ASS??? The curb weight (according to Car And Driver) is 30lbs MORE than my STS, and a 300-400lb gain over the last gen!

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
I like the late 300M, but I'd only consider the Special Edition version. The biggest drawback to me is the V-6 engine with timing belts. Otherwise, I think they're pretty sharp cars...much better than the hideous current 300.

·
Registered
2001 cadillac sts
285 Posts
If you can get a 2003 sts, its 10 times better than the 300m. Trust me, you wont regret it. Its more luxurious and when you get on the gas pedal, the NORTHSTAR comes to life.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,745 Posts
So many problems with my 94 LHS & 99 LHS. Traded 99 for current CPO 01 SLS (in 03) and never regretted it. Honestly, no comparison in terms of NVH. SLS/STS are clearly superior in my eyes. LHS/300 get all kinds of rattles and trim problems as they age too . Learned to hate Chrysler products as a result. Spend a full day w. a 300M and you will understand. Oh yeah, gas mileage actually better in my SLS than either LHS.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
I think 300m's are garbage, when I worked at the dealership we had a couple on the lot. Nice lookins cars, but very poor running. Extremely loose shifts and way too much play with the shifter. The suspension just seemed off as well, keep in mind this is with 3 or 4 not just one lemon we've had...

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
300Ms rock. I just took one across the country this summer. The interior room is AMAZING, handling is quite good and steering is quick and communicative. No squeaks, no rattles, though road noise was pronounced -- Michelin Energys suck! It does outhandle the STS, with less understeer when pushed hard through corners. That in part has to do with the 300M being lighter.

On the other hand, it doesnt compare to the Seville's ride, comfort, style, speed, and luxury. If I wanted a family car for daily use and had budgetary concerns, I'd never buy a Seville. Its one of many cars I'm absolutely in love with but would never EVER recommend to a friend. For luxury-performance enthusiasts, the Cadillac is the way to go.

A few of the 300M's interior pieces, like the door seals, are prone to moving out of position. You have to remove them and put them back where they belong. Its a fix that takes 10 minutes. The power window regulators go bad often. If the regulator goes bad, the window still works but makes an annoying noise. Chrysler switched suppliers in 2003. The Seville has a much better OEM sound system. Comfort is equal.

The Chrysler 3.5, along with nearly every other V6 or V8 engine on the face of this earth, is more dependable than the Northstar and cheaper to keep running, as well as easy to work on since its longitudinally mounted like a RWD car. No funny business, no oddly routed hoses, no weird coolant issues, no fluid leaks, no bizarre electrical issues. It just works, reliably.

The Seville has a beefier and more robust transmission, but hardware updates in 2001 and 2003 make the 300M a safe bet.

What would I buy? A Seville.
What would I recommend? Anything but a Seville.

I'll accept all of the Seville's nightmarish issues if I have secondary transportation. Nothing feels as good as a Cadillac.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,745 Posts
Oh yeah, 300M A/C problems galore - check out their forum and my LHS testimonial too. Fixed, broke, fixed, broke, fixed, broke - sold.

·
Registered
Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03
1,194 Posts
My previous car was a 2004 Concorde LXI, which was pretty much an elongated 300M, albeit a little softer and slower.
What I hated about the 04 Concorde was it felt so much cheaper than my STS, which of course it was.
New, the cars were at about 20k apart, and they feel that way.
The STS has excellent NVH levels of refinement. The luxurious Concorde LXI felt like a K-car on the hwy by comparison.
I seriously looked into ripping out the interior and dynomatting the LXI.
Also, the Michelin 17" MXV4's were very, very loud tires.
I was always pressing up on the power window switches, thinking a window must be open.

After driving the LXI for about a year, I got back into an STS. On the long drive home, I couldn't get over the difference in quality of
workmanship. The Cadillac is in a different league.
I agree 100% with Jesda on the cost of ownership between the two vehicles. The 3.5L Mopar engine is very robust. No issues
whatsoever, many guys on the 300 forum rack up really high miles with these powertrains. As an every day driver, the LXI was
as reliable as any appliance, whereas I listen and watch for issues all the time on my STS.
I haven't had any issues yet, but I'm very in tune with preventative maintenance on this, my 4th STS.

If you have a passion for cars and the sport of driving, then get the STS.
I work with a guy who owns a 99 300m with 200,000klm, purchased 6 months ago for $5,300 Cdn.
Trim pieces are falling apart, the paint is flaking, the headlights and chrome rims are shot, but its been a solid commuter
for him. Parked next to it, my STS looks like it just drove out of a new car showroom.
Better materials, a much higher level of class and luxury from the driver's seat on an STS.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Thought of another point. I don't don't mean to continue to bash, but I drove the "top of the line" Chrysler products from 94-03 - nearly a decade. The 300M/LHS was still based on the Concorde/Intrepid. Which means that when you pulled up at a light in your 32K+ (new '99) 300M/LHS next to a bare bones 18 grand (when new) '99 rental car Intrepid, you would not believe how many parts are shared - like insulation, interior trim, brakes, knobs, controls, radio etc. The Seville did not share any of those parts with cars 1/2 its price.

So why did I buy, not one, but two LHSs? Looks and $$. I thought they were hot looking cars loaded with features for the price (plus the 99 had that neat analog clock before any other Domestic automakers got back into the analog clock game)

The new 300C has the same draw that the LHS did for me (but now with an V8 engine to back up the looks). My 253 HP LHS was a turtle compared to my 275 HP SLS. If a comparison is being made here between the even more powerful STS and a 300M, they are not in the same ballgame for power - regardless of what the posted 0-60 times may be. One is a smooth linear refined acceleration, the other is slower, harsher, raspier, and nearly as thirsty for gas.

What can I say that is positive? Great looks and the analog clock is still cooler than the one in my 07 Lade - PLUS, you can actually read it during the day!

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
When 300 M was out , it was one of my fave cars especially outside desing.It looks like an American Eagle . I still hate 3 side by side roundish air outlets yet the gauges look nice .
Anyway as much I have heard good comments on it ,some people say to stay away from 300 M .
What would I choose ? Definetly Seville .
Well, I think when making such comparions you should forget about emblems of the cars .You shouldn't buy a car just because you're fan of the brand .When I say Seville, you can rely on me that I am evaluating it w/o looking its badge or emblem

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool, thanks for the input everyone. I've got to add both to my list of cars I need to test drive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts