Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking at the rotors of my Seville through the wheels the other day and thought that they looked a little small. On my Cutlass, in later years they ran a slightly larger front rotor with a slightly bigger caliper bracket to mount the standard caliper. This made a HUGE difference in braking power.

I wonder if something like that was/is possible for the Seville. I searched around and came up with nothing. I've heard that the Olds Aurora is a similar car...did it have a "big brake" option?

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Not that I'm aware of but on my 94 STS I had put on some drilled slotted and vented rotors on the front and some ceramic pads and oh man that car stopped on the dime !

·
Registered
2001 STS
189 Posts
Baer makes a front and rear brake package for our cars. Front is a direct bolt on but the rears require new parking brake cables from Lokar.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond STS
218 Posts
A cool and effective upgrade would be to 2006+ Lucerne dual piston front calipers and rotors. The rotors, I believe are slightly larger (12.75", but don't quote me on that) and of course the dual piston caliper is a significant upgrade over stock. A couple guys on the Aurora board have done it with pleasent results. I did my brakes in my 99 STS 9,000 miles ago and am ready to do the upgrade when I come across a reasonable set. (They upgrade to STS rear brakes though :cool2:). Hardest part I imagine would be milling out a hole for the wear sensor in the pad. It's a direct bolt-on swap.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
A cool and effective upgrade would be to 2006+ Lucerne dual piston front calipers and rotors. The rotors, I believe are slightly larger (12.75", but don't quote me on that) ....
Sorry, but I have to quote you on that. That would not play on a car equiped with OEM 16" wheels.

Per my '98 Seville Service Manual, the OEM front rotors are 11.8 inches in diameter. And I can guarantee you there is not enough clearance between the OEM calipers and the OEM 16" wheels to accomodate a 12.75" rotor and caliper assembly.

At the very least, the wheels, tires, rotors, calipers and pads would ALL have to be replaced with larger than OEM diameter parts. Hardly an off-the-shelf (economically justifiable) upgrade.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
ah
but i have factory 17 inch wheels on my STS
i wonder if it will work
if so im ordering parts now, ill upgrade the fronts only b/c the rears need a custom cable so im told because the GXP rear brakes are 1 inch larger than the STS brakes...

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
well its just been confirmed
while the rears would require some custom doing because of the ebrake cable
the fronts are a direct bolt on, lines and all
what you need is the rotors, brake pads and calipers
you can use the DTS and Lucerne v8 12.75 rotor if you have 17 inch wheels
12 inch Lucerne v6 rotors if you have 16 inch wheels

i plan on ordering all of this tomorrow and will install asap and report back, i will NOT be upgrading the rears as im not going to be fabbing up custom mounts and cables

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond STS
218 Posts
Here's the link to the thread on ACNA. Yea for an upgrade on Seville's, I wouldn't do the rear upgrade, they don't enough work it justify a 1" upgrade with the same calipers.

Yea, it's not going to work with factory 16"s. Though a wheel swap is a bolt-on too. ;)

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Why would you install 12" brakes and rotors from a V-6 Lucerne? The Seville brakes are already 12". Is the only difference dual caliper vs. single caliper?

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
You said:

"12 inch Lucerne v6 rotors if you have 16 inch wheels"

I said:

"Why would you install 12" brakes and rotors from a V-6 Lucerne? The Seville brakes are already 12"."

My question was, are the 12" brakes from the V-6 Lucerne a dual-piston caliper? In other words, how are the V-6 Lucerne brakes an upgrade on a 16" wheeled Seville?

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
I had drilled rotors on my '97. Excellent. The rotors and pads are actually still on it, about 80,000 miles later. That was the best money I spent on that car. Whenever my '01 needs front rotors, I'll probably opt for drilled or slotted.

·
The Last Good Gremlin
06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)
2,654 Posts
well its just been confirmed
while the rears would require some custom doing because of the ebrake cable
the fronts are a direct bolt on, lines and all
what you need is the rotors, brake pads and calipers
you can use the DTS and Lucerne v8 12.75 rotor if you have 17 inch wheels
12 inch Lucerne v6 rotors if you have 16 inch wheels

i plan on ordering all of this tomorrow and will install asap and report back, i will NOT be upgrading the rears as im not going to be fabbing up custom mounts and cables
Will this work on the Eldo, too??????

1 - 20 of 36 Posts