Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just recently purchaced a georgeous BLK/BLK '97 STS (my 3rd Seville) looks good ....sounds like a old ford truck rattling down the rough city streets. It has 52k and has all the papers, shows nothing being done to suspension. My first thought was bushings (sway bars etc.) but after reading threads on this forum about air ride this and knuckles that I'm confused. I put new tires on it and had a 4 wheel alighnment and the I hear the air pump working, it's set at the proper height. So I ruled these factors out. And what would make the rear sidestep when hitting a bump ? Can anyone offer advice ? And if it turns out to be bushings (sounds cheaper than anything else) are they available in polysomething aftermarket/performance or do I have to go to Cadillac ? And has anyone paid to have them replaced and what is a ballpark figure I would be looking at. I used to bust my own knuckles and would have done this kind of stuff but I'm old and have a real bad back so have to pay the man.

·
Registered
93 Seville STS
25 Posts
I have this problem too, just ordred some end links, that should cure the rattling from what I've read, struts may need to be replaced also. I'm replacing both at the same time, should feel like a new car.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6
1,320 Posts
End links will cure a rattle sound, not a rattle you can feel. My Eldorado had a rear end rattle (can tell because you felt it everywhere other than through the steering wheel) and it was a broken (loose) wheel hub. Give each rear tire a HARD kick at around the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position. If it's like mine was you will hear a clank. Started at 130000 miles, diagnosed and fixed at 144000 miles. It also rattled on every bump, shuddered over cracked pavement a little.

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just had a diagnosis at my trusted shop....End links and stabilizer bushings. We will start with the front, he also sez there is some aftermarket bushings available, impregnated with graphite that we will try to get. Also of note, the local Cadillac dealer shows that it should be a 17mm or 19mm bar, but mine has a 21mm bar !? Thanks for the replies. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just had the end links replaced and it is finally quiet. Thank you to all that replied. This is a great forum. Tbone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts