Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was driving and began to open my moon roof, I heard an unusual series of clicking sounds. WOE!
The moon roof continued on its automatic course and fully opened, but after this it seems to have gone out of sync! Now every time I push the moon-roof button, I have to release the button when I want it to stop as to before, it would stop precisely in close position or open (no stalls in between). I've checked my manuals, searched and continue to search different sites but to no avail yet. Can somebody please help me with this? I would greatly, greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
99 STS
700 Posts
My 99 STS did the same thing, It took six times back to the dealership before they finally fixed it right. It was a moon roof module they said it was located in the headliner.

Caddillac Dealership Service Departments SUCK!!!

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
You almost certainly have a bad "Limit" switch. It is part of the motor assembly and cannot be purchased separately.

Replacing it requires partially dropping the headliner. Unless you're a diehard weekend shadetree mechanic, you might want to seek out a servicer that specializes in this sort of repair. Folk here have reported prices ranging from $80 to $150.

As FrankT pointed out, it might also be the astroroof module, though that is less likely.

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you VERY much for your feedback. I really appreciate it and will look into getting this problem fixed. I like your description "diehard weekend shadetree mechanic":histeric: I guess most of us here are. Thanks again.:thumbsup:
Falconeo

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts
falconeo said:
Thank you VERY much for your feedback. I really appreciate it and will look into getting this problem fixed. I like your description "diehard weekend shadetree mechanic":histeric: I guess most of us here are. Thanks again.:thumbsup:
Falconeo
Removing the headliner is not a BAD job. It can be done in less than 1 hour. Just keep all screws and parts together as you remove them, for example sun visor (careful there are wires there) homelink, coat hooks etc...

The headliner is held in place by velcro in the middle and snap-on trim pieces around the perimiter. No big deal, not like the old days of hooks and stays.

Note: You will require assistance with another set of hands to help you guide the headliner out and back into the vehicle.

Once the headliner is out of the way it will be a good time to inspect your drains.

·
Registered
2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR
825 Posts
I have that same problem with my 98 ETC... I've resynced the motor a couple of times, but I'm thinking I may have a problem with the actual tracks themselves...

I'm not sure it would be a limit switch on the motor if your's is acting the same way as mine... Mine makes the cracking and popping noise as I open and close the roof, not at the far ends of open or close positions...

I priced a new set or tracks at around $200, but I'm not looking forward to dropping the headliner and taking everything apart... I already found a stripped out screw head on the front glass attachment point to the track...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts