Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado ETC & 1997 Seville STS
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 STS & the rear brakes cause a vibrate when applied. :hmm:
I purchased (2) new rotors & pads for a planned (2) hr installation. ;)
However, I ran into some very bad luck - the RR lower caliper bolt broke off!
Where do I go from here? :helpless:

Here are my questions:

1. Does the parking brake cable have to be removed?
Are there any tricks, additional info from experienced mechanics that maybe aid in the removal?
2. Does the (2) caliper mounting bolts have to be removed?
I sprayed the bolts w/ rust buster to aid in the removal
Are there any tricks, additional info from experienced mechanics that maybe aid in the removal?
3. How do I go about repairing the broken caliper bolt?
Drill & tapping seems painful?
Is it recommended to purchase a new caliper?

I tried to save a few buck because of the recession & now I’m paying for it!:shhh:
Thanks!
Andy

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,446 Posts
The calipers slide on the pin part of the bolts - the bolts thread into the caliper mounting bracket, which is replaceable.

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado ETC & 1997 Seville STS
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Submariner409! :D

1. Thanks for helping! I have not done a brake job in many years & I very much appreciate your patience!:eek:

2. Can the RR replacement caliper bracket be purchased at an AutoZone or do
I have to wait for the dealer to open on Monday?

3. Unfortunately, I also rounded off the LR slider bolt. I then removed the entire mounting bracket. Thus, I have a complete caliper and mounting bracket suspended w/ wire ties on the LR side.

4. I'm a little dubious about removing the caliper because I will then have to deal w/ the brake fluid leaking & bleeding. Is there a way to remove the brake line & prevent the brake fluid from completely draining the reservoir which is higher than the brake line? What is used to plug the brake line when the caliper is removed?

If I remove both RR & LR caliper & mounting assemblies, I may be able drill & tap the broken RR slide bolt & hopefully remove the stubborn LR slide bolt as well. Are the slide bolts sold at local auto parts or dealer only?

5. How do I obtain enough slack in the emergency brake cable to enable easier assemble. The emergency brake cable retaining spring is also damaged. It is difficult to obtain & purchase?

Thank You for all your help! This is an awesome website & it is help me reduce the cost of keeping my old Caddy running. This recession has taken away any opportunity for me to purchase a new car in the near future.

Thanks Again!:D
Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts