Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 STS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just won this car on ebay a few days ago. When I drove it home the SES light was on drove it around 140 miles with no problems, other than it was hard to start and smoked from all the fuel. I went to autozone and had the codes pulled. It was bank 2 running rich and bank 2 O2 sensor 1 was bad. So i was reading around on here and checked the FPR it was bad put a new one on and wow running so much better and starts as soon as you hit the key. The SES light was off. Drove it and ran great, other than i still noticed it would really puff the smoke when you really got on it. After about 20 miles the ses light came back on havent had the codes read yet was wanting to know if anyone had any info on this that could help!! Plus what side is bank 1 and what side is bank 2 thank you for you time

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
On a transverse mounted Northstar Bank one is the one against the firewall, bank 2 is the one closest to the radiator.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,039 Posts
Something like this is posted in another thread - sounds like the same problems. If you have an after-cat sensor, that's Bank 1, Sensor 2.

·
Registered
97 STS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for all your help The SES light is coming and going. Cant seem to figure out the problem pulled the codes. Here is a list of the codes that were listed under history P0404, P0603, B1552, C1255, B1983, B2560, B2105 AND one under current B2147 which is left front mirror horizontal control circuit high. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing the SES light, Is there anyway to reset the DTC from the dash? Thank You

·
Administrator
71,039 Posts
In the sticky post "how to pull codes" there is a procedure for stepping through each module and its codes. At the end of the sequence the DIC asks the question "Clear Codes ?" Use the control button designated "Yes" to clear all codes. The SES light should go out.

Be advised that, when you "clear all codes" the car will not pass an emissions test for a week or so - the system needs to reset itself and establish that the emissions are in fact within design limits. Until that happens - a couple of weeks of normal driving - the car will give the emissions test set a "Not ready" code and the car will fail.

P0404 refers to EGR valve performance. If the valve sticks either open or shut it changes the fuel mixture, sometimes radically, and will set the SES. Remove and clean the EGR holes in the engine casting and clean the pintle and passages in the valve. If the pintle does not move freely, the valve sticks. If that fails, the valve itself may be faulty. They don't last forever.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
The 97's and earlier don't let you clear all the codes like the 2000s (maybe 98 and 99s don't have one of those) and up do. After it goes thru all the modules (PCM,ACM,MSM,MZM,RSS,TCC and half a dozen others that i cant remember) and displays any DTCs for associated with each one. It comes back to the PCM and sits there with PCM? displayed. If you answer yes, it asks you PCM codes? If you answer no, it goes to PCM overrides, then to CLEAR CODEs? answer yes it clears only the PCM codes, answer no it goes back to PCM? Hit the OFF button once and it moves to the ACM? and you can go thru it all over again. You have to clear codes from each module one at a time to get them all, major pain in the butt. 2000's and up will clear all the codes at once.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
This is what is causing your SES to stay ON:
P0404 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Open Position Performance
Trust me on this OK! You might experience some idle roughness and/or hard starting due to the EGR. Ceap replacement, I found mine brand new AC Delco on e-bay for $72 (and next day another one for $48 :bonkers:)

P0603 - Control Module Long Term Memory Reset
B1552 - Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error
B1983 - Device Power Circuit Low
Not a concern, every new owner coming on this forum posts the same codes (the battery was dead before you bought the cat, so the car was neglected for a while).
C1255 - EBCM Internal Malfunction
For now is in the same bucket with the ones above, if it does returns then is going to cost ~$500 to replace the EBTCM control module (new), or $30-$50 (used). No difference between new and used, just that the new one is shinier.

B2560 - RKE Message Validation Error
Somebody tried the wrong key or did not inserted the key properly

B2105 - Horizontal Aft Switch Failed
B2147 - Left Front Mirror Horizontal Position Sensor Circuit High
Something to deal with later, first replace the EGR!

·
Registered
97 STS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks for all you help!!! Cleaned the erg out and no no ses light!!! still see a litte smoke when i floor it is that normal?

·
Administrator
71,039 Posts
Dark gray and/or black smoke on WOT is either slightly rich fuel mixture (sort of normal on a WOT: all emissions controls electronically drop out) or built-up soot blowing out of the pipes and mufflers.

Blue or white smoke is cause for concern.

It's hard for the driver to make a judgment - have a passenger look directly out the back window or have another car follow you during a WOT.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,552 Posts
Usually, "smoke" (carbon) is a sign that the cylinders are still carboned and need more WOT. After a few runs, you should not see any.

·
Registered
97 STS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: 97 sts running lean

ok so car running strong!! but on my way home from work stopped and got gas and the SES came on but car was running good so when i got home and pulled in the garage checked the codes and now its says running lean first it was running rich now its running lean codes are

P0171 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1:confused:
P0174 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2:confused:

·
Registered
97 STS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont know it this has anything to do with it but the airbox lid is cracked badly and by badly you can see the filter is it really doesnt even shut all the way i just noticed it today under the hood could that cause those codes? Im getting a new air box for it in a few days!!

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Well, YEAH!
I was almost at the point to ask you if by any chance you have replaced the air filter box with a "performance" CAI cone filter.
Is the kind of codes you get...

·
Administrator
71,039 Posts
ryan-----While you're replacing the airbox and checking all that inlet piping for leaks (!), change to a WIX air filter. Also remove the engine beauty cover and trace out the various vacuum lines that come off the throttlebody and go to several valves and switches. A bad vacuum line or plastic pipe can set those lean codes. Also trace out the PCV lines to/from the front and rear cam covers - the rear one is the vacuum side and snakes around into the intake manifold down behind the p/s pump reservoir. The front line is the fresh air supply coming from just before the butterfly in the throttlebody. And here's a good one - check the oil filler cap ! If that's loose or missing it will set lean codes from too much air entering the crankcase (recent post by another member). Any broken plastic vacuum pipe can be replaced with rubber vacuum line of the correct ID from any parts store. Just because the line is plastic and bent all cutesy doesn't make it work any better.........

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,552 Posts
The air filter housing is upstream from the TB so it will not cause it to run lean. You can take it off completely and it won't cause any problem other than you will be ingesting unfiltered air. Those codes indicate a leak downstream, behind the TB as Sub has suggested.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts